Maybe you’ve got an old Gmail address you no longer use. Or, maybe you have a Gmail account set up for business reasons and you don’t want to have to monitor multiple accounts for new email messages. No matter the reason, Google makes it easy to forward all of the emails you receive at your Gmail account to another email account. The only caveat is that you can only set up Gmail email forwarding through the Gmail website and not through the Gmail mobile app. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Set Up Email Forwarding in Gmail
- Open a web browser, navigate to www.Gmail.com, and then log into your account if prompted. You’ll land on your Gmail home screen. As a reminder, you can only set up Gmail email forwarding through the Gmail website and not through the Gmail mobile app.
- Click the “Settings” icon at the top of the screen. The Settings icon looks like a gear.
- Click “See All Settings” in this menu.
- Click to select “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” in the menu that runs along the top of the screen. Options associated with Gmail forwarding and your POP/IMAP settings will appear on the lower part of the screen.
- Click “Add a Forwarding Address.” The Add a Forwarding Address dialog box pops up.
- Enter the email address you want to forward any message you receive at this Gmail account to, and then click “Next.” A Confirm Forwarding Address window is shown.
- Check that the email account you want to forward to is correct, and then click “Proceed.” A pop-up box appears letting you know that a confirmation code has been sent to the email address you’ll be forwarding email messages to. Click “OK” to close this message.
- Open the email account you’ll be forwarding Gmail email to, and then click to open the message with a subject line that reads “Gmail Forwarding Confirmation.” You’ll see a message similar to what’s on the screen.
- Click the link in this message to confirm that you’re the owner for this email account. A Confirmation window is displayed asking you to verify that you want to forward Gmail email to another account. Click “Confirm.” A message appears letting you know that you’ve successfully confirmed your request to forward your Gmail to another email account.
- Now, navigate back to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP part of your Gmail account Settings screen, and navigate back down to the Forwarding section.
- Click to select the “Forward a copy of incoming mail” option, and then make sure the email address you want to forward to is displayed in the first drop-down box.
- Now, click the next drop-down field in this section to choose what happens with the emails in your Gmail inbox after they are forwarded. You’ll see options to keep a copy of the original message in your inbox, keep a copy of the original Gmail message in your inbox and mark it as read, archive your Gmail copy, or delete the copy of the forwarded email from your Gmail inbox. In this example I’ll choose to keep a copy in my Gmail inbox. After you’re done making your selections, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click “Save Changes.” Your changes will be applied, and all new email messages sent to this Gmail address will be forwarded as per your specifications going forward.
Reasons You Should Use Gmail Email Forwarding
Gmail forwarding enables you to streamline all your email accounts into one. This helps you avoid the hassle of managing multiple email accounts and ensures that you never miss an important email. Moreover, centralizing email accounts makes it easier to search and organize your messages.
By forwarding Gmail messages to a secondary email account, you ensure that you never lose access to important emails, even if your primary Gmail account experiences a technical glitch. This way, you can keep your important emails safe and secure.
Gmail forwarding helps you share emails with others, making it easier to collaborate on projects and delegate tasks. Whether you’re working on a team project or need to share important information with a family member, Gmail forwarding simplifies the process.
Forwarding emails to a supervisor or manager keeps them informed and updated on specific communications. This can help maintain transparency in the workplace and keep everyone on the same page.
Integration with Other Services
By forwarding Gmail emails to third-party services, you can integrate your email communications with other workflows. Whether you use a project management or CRM tool, Gmail forwarding helps you streamline your work and increase efficiency.
Temporary Email Forwarding
When you’re unable to access your primary Gmail account, Gmail forwarding to a temporary email account keeps you connected. This way, you can stay on top of your emails, even when you’re away from your primary account.
Gmail forwarding to an archive account helps you keep important emails for later reference, without cluttering your primary Gmail inbox. This way, you can easily access important emails whenever you need them, without having to search through your entire inbox.