TikTok has a strict set of community guidelines to ensure it provides a safe platform for its users. If you post a video that violates any of TikTok’s community guidelines, that video will likely get taken down quickly. If you get enough community guidelines violations, your account will eventually get banned from TikTok. As a result, if you do have a video get banned for being in violation of TikTok’s community guidelines, it’s important to understand the details around why so you can decide whether you can appeal the strike if you feel it was in error, or work to avoid making the same mistake again if you were in the wrong.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Find TikTok Community Guidelines Violation Reason
- Launch the TikTok app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. As a reminder, you can’t see you TikTok Community Guidelines violation reason on the TikTok website. You’ll land on your TikTok home screen.
- Tap “Profile.” You’ll land on your TikTok profile screen.
- Make sure the “Posts” icon is selected, and then scroll down until you find your post that violated TikTok’s community guidelines.
- Tap your post that violated TikTok’s community guidelines. You’ll see a message on this screen telling you the specific reason this TikTok post was removed.
- Tap “See Details” at the bottom of this screen.
You’ll land on a Video Removed screen that will give you more information about why your video was found to violate TikTok’s community guidelines. From here, you can choose to give feedback around whether you agree or disagree with TikTok’s decision to remove your video, or you can appeal this video’s removal.
8 Questions (and Answers) People Have About TikTok Community Guidelines Violations
Question 1: What are the main categories of content that violate TikTok’s Community Guidelines?
Understanding TikTok’s Community Guidelines is crucial for maintaining a safe and enjoyable environment. The primary categories of content violations include:
- Illegal Activities: TikTok prohibits content that promotes, supports, or facilitates criminal activities such as drug use, theft, or hacking.
- Hate Speech: Content that targets individuals or groups based on race, religion, ethnicity, or other protected attributes is not allowed.
- Harassment and Bullying: TikTok is committed to fostering a positive community, so any form of harassment, intimidation, or humiliation is not tolerated.
- Nudity and Sexual Content: To maintain a platform suitable for users of all ages, explicit sexual content, nudity, and sexually suggestive material are prohibited.
- Graphic Violence: Content depicting gratuitous violence, harm to oneself or others, or animal cruelty is not allowed on TikTok.
Question 2: What happens when a user violates TikTok’s Community Guidelines?
When users violate TikTok’s Community Guidelines, the platform may take several actions, including:
- Content Removal: TikTok may remove the violating content without any further action.
- Warning: The user may receive a warning, educating them about the violation and the guidelines.
- Account Suspension: For more severe or repeated violations, TikTok may temporarily suspend the user’s account.
- Account Ban: In extreme cases, the platform may permanently ban the user from accessing their account.
Question 3: Can I appeal if my content is removed or my account is suspended for violating Community Guidelines?
If you believe TikTok has mistakenly removed your content or suspended your account, you can appeal the decision. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the notification about the content removal or account suspension.
- Click on the appeal option within the notification.
- Provide necessary information and explain why you believe the decision was incorrect.
TikTok will review your appeal, and if they agree with your reasoning, they may reinstate your content or account.
Question 4: What is the consequence of multiple violations of TikTok’s Community Guidelines?
Multiple violations of TikTok’s Community Guidelines can lead to escalating consequences:
- Increased Warning Frequency: Users who repeatedly violate guidelines may receive more frequent warnings.
- Temporary Account Suspension: TikTok may suspend the user’s account for a specified period, depending on the severity and frequency of violations.
- Permanent Account Ban: In cases of extreme or persistent violations, TikTok may permanently ban the user’s account.
Question 5: How does TikTok enforce its Community Guidelines and detect violations?
TikTok uses a combination of technology and human moderation to enforce its Community Guidelines:
- Artificial Intelligence: Advanced algorithms help detect potential violations by analyzing text, audio, and visual elements within the content.
- Human Moderators: A team of content reviewers assesses flagged content and makes the final decision on whether it violates the guidelines.
- User Reports: TikTok encourages users to report content they believe breaches the Community Guidelines, ensuring a community-driven moderation process.
Question 6: Can private accounts on TikTok still be reported and penalized for Community Guidelines violations?
Private accounts on TikTok are not exempt from Community Guidelines enforcement. Regardless of privacy settings, users must adhere to the guidelines. If a private account is reported for violating the guidelines, TikTok may take appropriate action, including content removal, warnings, or account suspension.
Question 7: How can I learn more about TikTok’s Community Guidelines to avoid unintentional violations?
To better understand TikTok’s Community Guidelines, users should:
- Visit the Official TikTok Website: The website provides a comprehensive guide to the Community Guidelines.
- Review Guidelines in the TikTok App: The app also offers access to guidelines and information about prohibited content.
- Stay Updated: Regularly check for updates to the guidelines, as they may change over time.
Question 8: Are there any differences in Community Guidelines enforcement for different regions or countries?
While the core principles of TikTok’s Community Guidelines remain consistent across regions, enforcement may vary based on local laws and cultural norms. Users should be aware of their region’s specific guidelines to ensure compliance. Some regional differences include:
- Local Laws: TikTok adheres to local laws and regulations, which may affect the type of content allowed or prohibited in a specific region.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Certain content might be acceptable in one culture but offensive in another. TikTok considers these cultural nuances when enforcing guidelines.
- Age Restrictions: Age limits for accessing or creating content on TikTok may vary based on regional laws and regulations.
To stay informed about regional differences, users should:
- Review Regional Guidelines: Familiarize yourself with the guidelines specific to your region, which can typically be found on TikTok’s official website or app.
- Stay Updated on Local Laws: Regularly monitor changes in local laws and regulations that may affect your use of TikTok.
- Follow Local Content Creators: Engage with content creators from your region to better understand the cultural context and norms of your local TikTok community.