Netflix logs every click you’ve made, the date and time of every video you’ve watched, everything you’ve searched for in the service, and much more. And while you can’t access that information directly within the Netflix website or app, you can request that Netflix pull that information together for you so that you can download it in the CSV format, which can be viewed in Excel, LibreOffice, or whatever application you use to view spreadsheets.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Download Netflix Personal Information
- Open a web browser, navigate to Netflix.com, and then log into your Netflix account if prompted. You’ll land on your Netflix home screen. Again, as a reminder, you can only download your Netflix viewing history through the Netflix website and not through the Netflix mobile app for iPhone, iPad, Android or any other devices.
- Click your profile picture at the top of the screen to open a drop-down menu, and then click “Account.”
- Scroll down to the Settings section, and then click “Download Your Personal Information.” The Request a Copy of Your Information screen is shown.
- Click “Submit Request.” A message telling you to check your email to verify your request is displayed.
- Open the email account associated with your Netflix account, open the email from Netflix with Confirm Your Request as the subject line, and then click “Confirm Request” in the body of that message. You’ll be routed back to your Netflix account, where you’ll see a dialog box prompting you to enter your password to confirm your request. A message will be displayed that your request to download your personal information from Netflix is in progress. As a note, it can take Netflix up to 30 days to make your personal information available to you. In this example, it only took Netflix two days to prepare my information.
- Monitor the email associated with your Netflix account for a message from Netflix letting you know that your download is ready. Open that message and then click “Get Information” in the body. You’ll be taken to the Netflix website where you’ll be prompted to confirm your Netflix account password.
- Enter your Netflix account password in the dialog box, and then click “Continue.” A Save As dialog box will be shown prompting you to download your Netflix report as a ZIP file. Choose where you want to download this ZIP file, and then click “Save” to download the file.
Within the contents of the ZIP file you’ll find folders containing spreadsheets you can use to see your account information in the Account folder; devices that have been connected to your Netflix account in the Devices folder; your billing history in the Payment and Billing folder; your Netflix viewing history and search history in the Content Interaction folder, and more.
What You Can Learn by Downloading Your Netflix Personal Information
1. Your Viewing History
By downloading your Netflix personal information, you can access your viewing history, which provides a detailed list of all the movies and TV shows you have watched on the platform. With this information, you can better understand your viewing habits and preferences, and perhaps even identify patterns or themes in the content you enjoy. Additionally, your viewing history can serve as a useful tool for tracking your progress through a particular TV series or identifying movies you may want to rewatch in the future.
2. Your Account Information
Your Netflix account information includes details such as your subscription plan, email address, and payment method. By accessing this information, you can verify that all of your account details are up-to-date and accurate, and you can also monitor your payment history to ensure that you are not being overcharged or billed for services you did not use. Additionally, your account information can help you troubleshoot any issues you may be experiencing with your account or subscription.
3. Your Rating and Feedback
Netflix allows users to rate movies and TV shows on a five-star scale and provide written feedback about their viewing experience. By accessing your rating and feedback history, you can better understand your own tastes and preferences and identify patterns in the types of content you enjoy. Additionally, you can review your feedback to see if you’ve given helpful or insightful critiques of the content you’ve watched and make adjustments to your reviewing habits accordingly.
4. Your Search History
By accessing your search history, you can view the search terms you’ve used while browsing the platform. This information can be useful for identifying trends in your viewing habits and understanding how you search for content on Netflix. Additionally, your search history can help you remember specific movies or TV shows you’ve searched for in the past and may want to watch again in the future.
5. Your Download History
If you’ve downloaded any movies or TV shows for offline viewing, you can access your download history to see a list of the content you’ve downloaded. This information can be useful for tracking which content you’ve watched offline and may want to revisit in the future. Additionally, your download history can help you manage the amount of space you are using to store downloaded content on your device.
6. Your Device Information
Netflix allows users to access the list of devices that have accessed their account. By reviewing this information, you can ensure that your account is secure and that no one has been accessing your account without your permission. Additionally, you can use this information to troubleshoot any issues you may be experiencing with accessing Netflix on a particular device.
7. Your Recommendations
Netflix uses an algorithm to recommend movies and TV shows to users based on their viewing history and ratings. By accessing your recommendations, you can view a list of the content that Netflix thinks you will enjoy. This information can be useful for discovering new content that you may not have otherwise found and expanding your viewing habits. Additionally, you can adjust your ratings or feedback to fine-tune your recommendations and receive more personalized content suggestions.
Does Netflix Share My Personal Information with Third-Party Advertisers?
Netflix does not share your personal data with third-party advertisers. Instead, it uses your viewing history and preferences to personalize your experience on the platform. Netflix takes user privacy very seriously, and it has implemented various measures to protect your personal data, including encryption and firewalls.
How Long Does Netflix Retain My Personal Data?
Netflix keeps your personal data for as long as it is necessary to provide its services, comply with legal obligations, and protect its rights and interests. However, if you close your account, Netflix will delete your personal data within a reasonable period, except where retention is required by law or necessary to resolve disputes.
Can I Control the Personal Information Netflix Collects About Me?
Yes, you can control the personal information Netflix collects about you. Netflix provides you with the ability to adjust your account settings and privacy preferences, allowing you to choose what information you want to share with the platform.
Is My Personal Information Secure with Netflix?
Netflix takes the security of your personal data seriously. It uses various security measures, including encryption and firewalls, to protect your data from unauthorized access and breaches. Additionally, Netflix continually monitors its systems to detect and respond to potential security incidents.
Does Netflix Use My Personal Information to Personalize My Viewing Experience?
Yes, Netflix uses your viewing history and preferences to personalize your experience on the platform. The platform’s algorithms analyze your viewing habits to suggest movies and shows that align with your interests. This is part of Netflix’s efforts to improve the user experience and make it easier for you to find content that you will enjoy.
Can I Request That Netflix Delete My Personal Information?
Yes, you have the right to request that Netflix delete your personal data. However, it’s worth noting that this may impact your user experience and limit Netflix’s ability to provide you with personalized recommendations. If you choose to delete your data, you may need to re-enter your preferences and viewing history, which could affect your future suggestions. Nonetheless, if you decide to delete your data, Netflix will comply with your request and delete your data within a reasonable period, as long as it’s not required by law to retain it.