With the rollout of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 Apple added the ability to store two factor authentication codes natively on your iPhone or iPad in a built-in authenticator, rather than having to rely on a third-party app such as Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator. Setting up two factor authentication with accounts on your iPhone or iPad only takes a few minutes, and does require that you are running iOS 15 or later on your iPhone, and iPadOS 15 or later on your iPad. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Use Two Factor Authentication on iPhone or iPad
- Open the “Settings” app, scroll down the menu to Passwords, and then tap “Passwords.”
- Navigate to the account you want to use two factor authentication for, and then tap that account. If that account isn’t in this list, you’ll need to tap the “+” sign to add it. You’ll land on the information screen for that specific account.
- Before moving forward you’ll want to navigate to the screen associated with the service you’re setting up two factor authentication for on a separate device that gives you either the setup key or the QR code to scan in. This process will vary from service to service, and I won’t go into detail about that here.
- Tap “Set Up Verification Code” in the Account Options section. The Set Up Verification Code menu pops up, where you can choose to use either a setup key or scan a QR code to use your iPhone or iPad to supply the two factor authentication code for that service.
- In this example I’ll choose “Scan QR Code.” A screen is displayed prompting you to scan in the QR code on the other screen. After scanning in the QR code you’ll be routed back to the information screen, where you’ll now see a Verification Code section has been added, and you’ll see your verification code for that service in that field.
Going forward, when you access that site on other devices and are prompted for the two factor authentication code, you’ll navigate back to this screen to get the code you’ll need to enter. Alternatively, if you’re using an Apple device, when you’re prompted for a two step verification code for that site you’ll see a Verification Code prompt you can tap or click to automatically populate that code.
Five Reasons to Use Two-Factor Authentication on iPhone or iPad
Provides Extra Security
Using two-factor authentication on an iPhone or iPad is a great way to provide an extra layer of security for your device. With just a password or passcode, anyone who knows or guesses it can easily gain access to your device, putting your sensitive information at risk. However, by adding a second factor, such as a fingerprint or code, you can ensure that only you or someone you trust can access your device. Two-factor authentication is a simple yet effective way to safeguard your device and keep it secure from unauthorized access.
Prevents Unauthorized Access
One of the primary reasons to use two-factor authentication on an iPhone or iPad is to prevent unauthorized access. With the rise of hacking and data breaches, it’s more important than ever to take steps to protect your device and personal information. Two-factor authentication provides an additional layer of protection beyond just a password or passcode, making it more difficult for hackers or unauthorized users to gain access to your device. By requiring a second factor, such as a fingerprint or code, two-factor authentication helps ensure that only authorized users can access your device.
Protects Sensitive Information
Another reason to use two-factor authentication on an iPhone or iPad is to protect sensitive information. If your device contains personal or financial data, such as bank account or credit card information, two-factor authentication can help prevent unauthorized access and keep your sensitive data secure. Two-factor authentication is an easy way to ensure that only you or someone you trust can access your device and the sensitive information it contains.
Increases Online Security
Two-factor authentication not only helps protect your device but also increases the security of your online accounts linked to your iPhone or iPad. Many online services, such as email and social media platforms, offer two-factor authentication as an option to increase the security of your account. By requiring an additional layer of authentication beyond just a password, two-factor authentication can help prevent unauthorized access to your online accounts and keep your personal information safe.
Mitigates the Risk of Phishing Attacks
Phishing attacks are a common way for hackers to gain access to personal information, such as login credentials. Two-factor authentication can help mitigate the risk of these types of attacks by requiring a second factor, such as a code, that only the authorized user has access to. This makes it much more difficult for hackers to gain access to your device or online accounts through phishing attacks. By using two-factor authentication, you can help keep your personal information safe and secure.