Keeping your Fitbit firmware up to date is important to both make sure you’ve got the latest and greatest features and functionality available installed on your device, and also to ensure your Fitbit device has the latest security patches installed to keep your device and information secure. Checking for a firmware update on your Fitbit device is easy, and installing an available update likely won’t take more than a few minutes.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Update Fitbit Firmware
- Position the Fitbit you want to update within three feet of your iPhone, iPad or Android device your using to access the Fitbit app.
- Launch the Fitbit app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. You’ll land on the Fitbit Today screen.
- Tap your profile picture in the upper left corner of the screen. The Account screen is displayed.
- Tap your Fitbit device name in the list of connected devices. The information screen for your Fitbit device appears. If an update for your Fitbit firmware is available, you’ll see a pink ribbon directly beneath the menu that says Update Tracker.
- Tap “Update Tracker.” A New Update Available screen appears.
- Tap “Start Update” at the bottom of this screen.
A Connecting message appears briefly at the bottom of the screen. Eventually, you’ll see a message along the bottom of this screen that says the update is being downloaded and then installed on your Fitbit device. While this is occurring, you’ll likely see some form of a progress bar on your Fitbit device’s screen. When the firmware update installation is complete, your device will reboot. This screen in the Fitbit app will close and you’ll be returned to the information screen for your Fitbit device, where you’ll no longer see the pink ribbon informing that an update is available for your Fitbit device. Your software on your Fitbit device has been successfully updated.