Linking your phone number to your TikTok account has a lot of benefits. However, you may not feel like those benefits outweigh the risks associated with TikTok, a Chinese-owned company, being able to track everything you do on the platform and tie it back to your phone number. Thankfully, TikTok makes it easy to unlink your phone number from your account.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Unlink a Phone Number From Your TikTok Account
- Launch the TikTok app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device.
- Tap the “Profile” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the “Menu” icon at the top of this screen.
- Tap “Settings and Privacy.”
- Tap “Manage Account.”
- Navigate to the Account Information section, and then tap “Phone Number” in that section. The Your Phone Number section is displayed, showing your phone number and letting you know that this phone number is linked to your TikTok account. Additionally you’ll be informed that if you want to change or unlink your phone number you may need to verify your number.
- Tap “Unlink Phone.” The Unlink Phone Number screen is displayed, letting you know that if you unlink your phone number from TikTok you’ll no longer be able to log into your account with this number, reset your password with this number, people won’t be able to find you with your phone number, and more.
- Tap “Continue to Unlink.” You’ll be prompted to enter a six-digit code that is texted to the phone number that’s currently linked to your account. After entering this number you’ll be routed back to the Manage Account screen, where you’ll see a message at the top of the screen letting you know that your phone number has been unlinked from your TikTok account.
Reasons to Unlink Your Phone Number from TikTok
There are a few really good reasons you may want to consider unlinking your phone number from your TikTok account:
1. Protect Your Privacy
Unlinking your phone number from TikTok is a simple yet effective way to protect your personal information. Keeping your phone number off the app reduces the risk of unwanted spam or telemarketing calls. Moreover, it helps you retain control over who has access to your contact information. By taking this step, you can maintain your privacy and safeguard your personal information from unwanted access.
2. Improve Data Security
By unlinking your phone number from TikTok, you reduce the amount of personal information that the app has access to. This can lower the risk of data breaches and cyber attacks, helping you keep your sensitive information safe and secure. In today’s digital world, data security is more important than ever, and unlinking your phone number from TikTok is a simple step towards achieving it.
3. Reduce Ad Targeting
Phone numbers can be used for targeted advertising, which can be a double-edged sword. On one hand, you receive advertisements that are relevant to your interests, but on the other hand, it also means that companies have access to your personal information. Unlinking your phone number from TikTok can reduce the amount of personalized ads you receive, giving you more control over the type of advertisements you see on the app.
4. Prevent Unauthorized Access
Linking a phone number to your TikTok account can be used to recover the account in case you lose access to it. However, it also means that anyone with access to your phone number could potentially gain access to your TikTok account. By unlinking your phone number, you can prevent unauthorized access to your account and ensure that only you have control over it.
5. Enjoy an Improved User Experience
Receiving constant notifications from TikTok can quickly become overwhelming and negatively impact your overall experience on the app. Unlinking your phone number can reduce the number of notifications you receive, improving your overall experience and allowing you to use the app more efficiently and effectively.