One of the many security features Apple rolled out with iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 is iCloud Private Relay. While iCloud Private Relay isn’t technically a virtual private network, or VPN, it is effectively a VPN that’s just built into the Safari web browser. With iCloud Private Relay enabled on your iPhone or iPad, your activity is encrypted, and not even Apple can see or track your browsing activity. The only requirements to use iCloud Private Relay are that you have an iCloud+ subscription, and an iPhone or iPad running iOS 15 or iPadOS 15. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Turn On iCloud Private Relay on iPhone or iPad
- Tap to launch the “Settings” app, and then tap your name at the top of the Settings menu. The Apple ID screen is displayed.
- Scroll down until you see iCloud, and then tap “iCloud.” The iCloud screen is shown.
- Scroll down the iCloud screen until you see Private Relay, and then tap “Private Relay.” The Private Relay screen is displayed, informing you that iCloud Private Relay hides your IP address and browsing activity in Safari and protects your unencrypted internet traffic so that no one, not even Apple, can see both who you are and what sites you’re visiting.
- Tap to turn on the toggle next to Private Relay. You’ll now see an IP Address Location field directly above the Private Relay field.
- Tap “IP Address Location.” The IP Address Location Settings screen is displayed where you can choose to either maintain your general location, or you can choose to use a broader IP address location in your country and time zone. Going forward, iCloud Private Relay will be enabled and help ensure you’re browsing Safari securely.
Five Reasons to Turn On iCloud Private Relay on iPhone or iPad
Protect Your IP Address
Your IP address can reveal your location, online activity, and even your device information to websites and advertisers. To safeguard your privacy, turn on iCloud Private Relay to hide your IP address and keep it private. With iCloud Private Relay, you can browse the web with confidence knowing that your IP address remains protected. No longer will you have to worry about your location being tracked or your online activity being monitored.
Mask Your Online Identity
Identity theft and online fraud are growing concerns, but iCloud Private Relay provides you with peace of mind. The feature replaces your IP address with an anonymous one, making it much harder for websites and advertisers to track you. Your online identity remains protected and hidden from those who seek to misuse it. Enjoy worry-free browsing with iCloud Private Relay on your iPhone or iPad.
Enhance Privacy and Security
Privacy and security are at the forefront of online communication, and iCloud Private Relay offers both. By encrypting your web traffic, the feature makes it difficult for hackers and other malicious actors to intercept and steal your sensitive information. With iCloud Private Relay, you can browse the web with confidence knowing that your online activity and information are protected.
Prevent Targeted Advertising
Targeted advertising can be annoying and even invasive. iCloud Private Relay helps you avoid this by making it more difficult for advertisers to track your online activities. You can browse the web without worrying about being bombarded by ads based on your browsing history. Enjoy a cleaner, more streamlined online experience with iCloud Private Relay.
Avoid ISP Throttling
Internet service providers (ISPs) can throttle your connection based on the type of traffic you generate. This can result in slow internet speeds, making online activities frustrating. iCloud Private Relay helps you avoid this by encrypting your web traffic, making it harder for ISPs to track and throttle your connection. Browse the web at lightning speeds with iCloud Private Relay on your iPhone or iPad.