It can be tempting to check your Gmail on your iPhone or iPad one last time after you lay down to go to bed. However, the bright background of the Gmail app is incredibly bad for your eyes in a dark environment. To help address this, Google rolled out an update for the Gmail iOS app in late 2019 that adds a dark mode feature, which will make checking your email easy on your eyes no matter what lighting environment you’re in. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Turn On Gmail App Dark Mode on iPhone or iPad
- Tap to launch the Gmail app on your iPhone or iPad. Your Gmail home screen appears.
- Tap the “Menu” icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Scroll down the menu, and then tap “Settings.”
- Tap “Theme” in the Settings menu. The Theme screen appears.
- Tap to place a check mark next to “Dark,” and then tap the arrow in the upper left corner of the screen to navigate back to the Settings screen, where you’ll see dark mode is now applied. Dark mode will now be applied in all areas in the Gmail app on your iPhone or iPad.