Nothing is more frustrating than turning on your PlayStation 5 to relax, only to have to sit for an hour and wait for a required system or game update to install. You can avoid this by setting up your PS5 to automatically install system and game updates as soon as they’re available so you don’t have to wait for them. This does require that your PS5 is always connected to the internet, and that you’re console is in rest mode. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Turn On Automatic Updates on PS5
- Click the “Settings” icon on your PS5 home screen, and then click “System” in the menu that’s displayed. The System screen is shown.
- Choose “Power Saving” in the menu on the left side of the screen, and then choose “Features Available in Rest Mode” on the right side of the screen. The Features Available in Rest Mode screen is displayed.
- Click to enable both the “Stay Connected to the Internet” and “Enable Turn on PS5 from Network” options.
- Navigate back to the System screen. Choose “System Software” on the left side of the screen, and then choose “System Software Update and Settings” on the right side of the screen. Turn on both “Download Update Files Automatically” and “Install Update Files Automatically.”
- Navigate back to the Settings screen, and then choose “Saved Data and Game App Settings.” The Saved Data and Game App Settings screen is shown.
- Choose “Automatic Updates” in the menu on the left side of the screen, and then enable both “Auto Download” and “Auto Install in Rest Mode” on the right side of the screen. Going forward system and game updates will automatically be installed while your PS5 is in rest mode.