By default, the accounts you follow and send messages to on Instagram can see your activity status. Thankfully, if you don’t like the idea of people being able to see when you’re online on the social media platform, Instagram makes it easy to turn off your active status. However, the only caveat is that when you do this, you’ll also no longer be able to see the activity status of any other accounts on Instagram.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Turn Off Your Active Status on Instagram
- Launch the Instagram app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. You’ll land on your Instagram home screen.
- Tap your Instagram profile picture in the menu at the bottom of the screen. You’ll land on your Instagram profile screen.
- Tap the “Menu” icon at the top of the screen to open a menu, and then tap “Settings” in this menu. The Instagram Settings screen is displayed.
- Tap “Privacy” on this screen. The Privacy screen is shown.
- Tap “Activity Status” on this screen. You’ll land on the Activity Status screen.
- Tap to turn off the toggle associated with “Show Activity Status.” Going forward accounts you follow and anyone you message through Instagram will no longer be able to see when you were last active on Instagram. As a reminder, when you do this, you’ll also no longer be able to see the activity status of any other accounts on the platform.
Reasons to Consider Turning Off Your Active Status on Instagram
Privacy is a crucial aspect of social media, and it’s no surprise that many users choose to turn off their active status on Instagram. By doing so, users can ensure that others cannot see when they were last active on the app. This can be particularly important for those who wish to keep their social media activity private or who don’t want others to know when they’re using the app. Turning off active status is a simple way to protect your privacy on Instagram, so you can browse and interact with the app without worrying about others knowing your activity.
2. Avoiding Conversations
Sometimes, we need to take a break from social media and focus on other tasks. However, it can be challenging to do so when we’re bombarded with messages and notifications from others. Turning off active status on Instagram can help users avoid conversations and messages from others, giving them the space and time they need to complete other tasks. By doing so, users can focus on work, study, or personal projects without being disturbed by others.
3. Focus on Other Tasks
Distractions are everywhere, and social media is no exception. Turning off active status on Instagram can help users stay focused on other tasks without being interrupted by notifications and messages. This can be particularly helpful for those who need to concentrate on work, study, or creative projects without distractions. By turning off active status, users can manage their time more effectively and achieve their goals more efficiently.
4. Prevent Appearing Rude
In today’s fast-paced world, it can be challenging to respond to messages and notifications promptly. However, this can sometimes lead to misunderstandings or hurt feelings, as others may think we’re ignoring them. Turning off active status on Instagram can help prevent these misunderstandings and ensure that we don’t appear rude to others. By doing so, we can take the time we need to respond to messages and notifications without feeling pressured to do so immediately.
5. Manage Social Anxiety
Social anxiety is a common issue that affects many people. It can be challenging to use social media when we know others can see when we’re online. Turning off active status on Instagram can help manage social anxiety by giving users more control over their social media activity. In doing this, users can browse the app without feeling anxious or uncomfortable, and they can take the time they need to respond to messages and notifications without feeling pressured to do so immediately.