The first time you restart your computer after upgrading to Windows 11 you’ll likely notice a sound that probably wasn’t there before. It’s because when you upgrade your PC to Windows 11, it’s configured to play a startup sound by default. Thankfully, if you don’t like the new Windows startup sound, it’s easy enough to disable. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Turn Off Windows 11 Startup Sound
- Navigate to your Windows 11 home screen, and then press the “Windows” and “I” buttons at the same time on your keyboard. The Windows 11 Settings screen is displayed.
- Select “Personalization” in the menu on the left side of the screen. Personalization options will be shown on the right side of the screen.
- Click “Themes” on the right side of the screen. The Themes screen is shown.
- Click “Sounds” in the top part of this screen. The Sound window is displayed.
- Tap to remove the check mark next to “Play Windows Startup Sound,” and then tap “Apply.”
- Click “OK” to close the window. Going forward, the Windows 11 startup sound will no longer play when you boot up your Windows 11 computer.
Four Reasons to Turn Off the Windows 11 Startup Sound
Avoid Disturbing Others
The Windows startup sound is a staple of the operating system, but it can be disruptive in certain environments. If you work in an office or study in a library, the sudden sound of the Windows startup can be distracting for others around you. By turning off the startup sound, you can show consideration for those around you and create a more peaceful working environment. This can help you stay focused on your tasks and avoid irritating your coworkers or classmates.
Improve Boot Time
Disabling the Windows startup sound can have practical benefits, such as speeding up the boot process. When you turn on your computer, it has to load and play the sound file before it can start up the operating system. By turning off the sound, you can save a few seconds during each boot, which can add up over time. This can be especially useful if you frequently restart your computer or need to reboot in a hurry.
Not everyone is a fan of the Windows startup sound, and some may prefer a more personalized or muted boot experience. By turning off the sound, you can create a more customized startup that reflects your personal style and preferences. This can also help you avoid hearing the same sound repeatedly, which can become tiresome over time. Whether you prefer a silent startup or a more personalized audio clip, turning off the Windows startup sound can help you create a boot experience that is tailored to your needs.
Troubleshoot Startup Issues
If your computer is experiencing startup problems, the Windows startup sound can be an unwelcome distraction. By turning off the sound, you can better hear any error messages or alerts that may be occurring during boot. This can help you troubleshoot startup issues and resolve any problems that may be preventing your computer from starting up properly. Whether you’re dealing with a hardware issue or a software glitch, turning off the Windows startup sound can help you focus on the problem at hand and find a solution more quickly.