Using either your Windows 10 computer’s internal mic or a connected mic makes it easy to connect with friends and family through software like Skype or Teams, or to use audio recording software such as Audacity. However, if you don’t use these features often and you’re worried about a hacker using your computer’s mic to spy on you, it’s possible to disable any microphone that’s connected to your Windows computer. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Turn Off Microphone in Windows 10
- Click the “Start” menu icon on your Windows home screen to open a menu, and then click “Settings” on the left side of that menu. The Settings screen is displayed.
- Click “System.” The System screen is shown.
- Click “Sound” in the menu on the left side of the screen. The Sound options are displayed on the right side of the screen.
- Scroll down to Input, and then click the drop-down menu and choose the connect microphone that you want to mute. Click “Device Properties” after choosing your microphone. The Device Properties screen is displayed.
- Click to place a check mark in the box next to “Disable.” This microphone will be muted going forward on your Windows 10 computer.
Steps to Turn On Microphone in Windows 10
- Navigate back to the Sound screen and then click “Manage Sound Devices.”
- Scroll down to the Input section and then click the microphone you want to re-enable.
- Click “Enable.”