Spam messages on Instagram are incredibly annoying. If you’re tired of getting Instagram message requests you don’t want, Instagram now makes it easier to stop people you don’t know from being able to message you. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Stop Spam Messages on Instagram
- Launch the Instagram app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. You’ll land on your Instagram home screen.
- Tap your profile icon in the menu row. Your profile screen is displayed.
- Tap the three horizontal ellipses at the top of the screen. A menu flies up.
- Tap “Settings” in the menu. The Settings screen is shown.
- Tap “Privacy” in this menu. The Privacy menu is displayed.
- Tap “Messages.” The Message Controls menu is shown.
- Navigate to the Other People section, and then tap “Others on Instagram.” The Others on Instagram screen is displayed. Tap to select “Don’t Receive Requests.”
- Navigate back to the Message Controls screen and then tap “Others on Facebook” in the Other People section. The Others on Facebook screen is displayed. Tap to select “Don’t Receive Requests.”
Going forward you’ll no longer receive spam messages on Instagram from people you don’t know. If you want to take it a step further, you can also go through the Potential Connections section on this screen and choose to not receive message requests from anyone in those categories either.