Everyone can relate to the pain of trying to remotely explain how to do something on their iPhone or iPad. It’s hard not to imagine how much easier it would be if you could just show them your screen. Thankfully, Apple now makes it easy to share your iPhone or iPad screen with someone else using FaceTime. Importantly, you must be using iOS 15.1 or later on your Apple device, and the people you want to share your screen with must be using iOS 15.1 or later as well.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Share Your iPhone or iPad Screen Using FaceTime
- Launch the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad, and start a FaceTime call with the person you want to share your device’s screen with.
- Tap the screen to display the onscreen menu if it isn’t displayed already, and then tap the “Screen Sharing” icon in the menu. The Screen Sharing icon looks like an image of a screen with a person in front of it.
- Tap “Share My Screen” in that menu. At this time you’ll see a black background on your screen.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone or iPad screen to minimize FaceTime and view your device’s home screen. At this time the person you’re talking with will now see your screen mirror on their iPhone or iPad. You can confirm you’re sharing your iPhone or iPad screen by looking in the upper left corner of the screen where when you’re sharing your screen you’ll see the Screen Sharing icon.
- When you’re done sharing your screen, tap the “Screen Sharing” icon to bring the onscreen menu back up, and then tap the “Screen Sharing” icon in the menu. Your screen share will be stopped immediately.
Reasons to Share Your iPhone or iPad Screen Using FaceTime
Screen sharing on iPhone or iPad during FaceTime calls enhances collaborative work. It enables participants to view documents, spreadsheets, or presentations together. As colleagues exchange ideas, they can simultaneously make edits or suggestions, streamlining the workflow. Screen sharing fosters a creative atmosphere, leading to increased productivity and efficiency. This real-time collaboration removes the need for countless back-and-forth emails and fosters a better understanding of team objectives.
2. Technical Support
FaceTime screen sharing allows users to seek help from knowledgeable individuals. By displaying their device’s issue, they can receive step-by-step guidance from friends, family, or support staff. The visual element removes communication barriers, ensuring the problem is accurately described and understood. This method of support can save time and reduce frustration, resulting in a smoother troubleshooting process. Users can quickly return to normal device operations with minimal disruption.
Using screen sharing for demonstrations is invaluable. When showcasing new apps, features, or products, individuals can provide a comprehensive, interactive experience. FaceTime allows viewers to observe in real-time, ask questions, and provide feedback. This hands-on approach can highlight benefits, reveal unique selling points, and generate interest. Whether presenting to clients or teaching friends about the latest app, screen sharing simplifies the process and improves comprehension.
Educators and tutors use screen sharing in remote learning scenarios. It allows them to present lessons, clarify complex concepts, or review assignments with students. FaceTime’s screen sharing feature supports an interactive learning environment, enabling students to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. This tool helps bridge the gap between traditional and remote learning, ensuring students continue to receive quality education even from a distance.
5. Travel Planning
iPhone and iPad FaceTime screen sharing supports cooperative travel planning. Individuals can explore destinations, accommodations, and activities together, making informed decisions in real-time. Using FaceTime, users can compare options, discuss preferences, and book experiences collectively. This process fosters excitement, anticipation, and a sense of ownership over the itinerary. Screen sharing simplifies group travel planning and ensures everyone’s input is considered.
6. Social Media and App Exploration
FaceTime’s screen sharing feature encourages users to explore new social media platforms and apps together. Friends can share discoveries, discuss opinions, and enjoy real-time reactions. This interactive experience supports better understanding and appreciation of new technologies. Users can navigate unfamiliar interfaces together, exchanging thoughts and ideas as they learn. Screen sharing fosters a sense of community while navigating the digital landscape.
Online shopping becomes a shared activity with screen sharing during FaceTime calls on iPhone and iPad. Friends or family members can browse products, compare options, and provide opinions on potential purchases. This collaborative shopping experience can save time, reduce decision fatigue, and help users find the perfect item. Sharing screens adds a social element to online shopping, allowing users to bond over their shared interests and preferences.