Steam Link makes it possible for you to play your Steam games that are controller friendly from anywhere you can get a wireless signal. Using Steam Link does require that you have a computer running Steam that you can connect to. Additionally, you can play games on Steam link without a connected Bluetooth controller by using the onscreen Steam controller, but your experience may not be as good. Next, to use Steam Link, your iPhone or iPad needs to be running iOS 13 or later. And finally, while having your iPhone or iPad and your computer you play Steam on connected to the same wifi network is required to make the initial connection, after that, as long as your computer is turned on, running Steam and connected to a wireless network, you can use Steam Link on your iPhone or iPad from anywhere as long as you’re connected to a wireless or cellular data network. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Setup Steam Link on iPhone or iPad
- Navigate to the App Store on your iPhone or iPad running at least iOS 13, and then install the Steam Link app.
- Pair a Bluetooth game controller to your iPhone or iPad. I’d recommend using either a PS4 or Xbox One controller. See my video about how to pair a PS4 controller with your iPhone or iPad here, or my video about how to pair an Xbox controller with your iPhone or iPad here.
- Launch Steam on your computer. Click “View” in the menu along the top of your screen to open a drop-down menu, and then click “Big Picture Mode” in the drop-down menu. The Big Picture Mode version of Steam opens on your computer.
- Launch the Steam Link app on your iPhone or iPad. Tap “OK” when the prompt appears on your screen asking if Steam Link can use Bluetooth. The Welcome to Steam Link screen is displayed. Tap “Get Started” on this screen. The Connect to a Computer screen is displayed.
- Tap to select the computer running Steam that you want to connect to. A Connecting screen will be displayed briefly before the Enter PIN screen appears in the Steam Link app on your iPhone or iPad. Alternatively, in the Steam app on your computer, an Authorize Device window will be displayed.
- Enter the PIN displayed in the Steam Link app in the Authorize Device window in the Steam app on your computer, and then click “OK.” A Connecting and then Testing Network screen will be displayed on the Steam Link app. After that test is complete, a Network Test Complete window appears. Tap “OK” in that window. You’ll land on the Steam Link screen in the Steam Link app.
- Tap “Start Playing” on the Steam Link screen. A Controller Shortcuts screen will be displayed the first time you use Steam Link. Tap “Continue.” A Connecting screen appears briefly before you land on your Steam library. As a side note, if your Library doesn’t appear to have any games in at at first, remove any filters that may be automatically applied in the games section.
- Click to select the game you want to play. An information screen for that game is displayed. Click “Play” on that screen to launch that game. That game will be launched in the Steam Link app on your iPhone or iPad. To quit a launched game in the Steam Link app on your iPhone or iPad when using your PS4 controller, double-press the “Options” button, and on your Xbox One remote double-press the “View” button. Then click “Exit Game.” The Close Application window appears. Click “Close.” You’ll return to your Steam game library. Going forward, as long as your computer is turned on, running Steam and connected to a wireless network, you can use Steam Link on your iPhone or iPad from anywhere as long as you’re connected to a wireless or cellular data network.