In June of 2023 OpenAI rolled out an official app for Apple’s iPhone and iPad that gives users access to some features not available in the traditional ChatGPT desktop app. One of those features is a voice input option that captures your spoken message, translates that to text, and submits it into your ChatGPT conversation where ChatGPT can respond to it as normal. Setting up the voice input feature in the ChatGPT app for iPhone and iPad only takes a few minutes.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Set Up Voice Input in the ChatGPT App for iPhone and iPad
- Download the official OpenAI ChatGPT app from the Apple app store. Be careful because there are a lot of knock-off apps available. The name of the official ChatGPT app is ChatGPT, and you’ll see the developer listed as OpenAI.
- Launch the ChatGPT app on your iPhone or iPad, and then log into your account. You’ll land on the ChatGPT app home screen.
- Find the message bar along the bottom of the screen, and then tap the sound wave icon on the right side of the message bar. A window pops up asking if you want to let ChatGPT access your microphone.
- Tap “OK” in this window.
The window will close and you’ll see a large purple box pop up below the message bar, indicating that ChatGPT is now recording. Going forward, tapping the sound wave icon will automatically start recording.
- Speak the text you want to send to ChatGPT and then tap the “Stop” button when you’re done. You’ll briefly see a message letting you know that your voice input is being converted to text, and eventually you’ll see your spoken text written out in the message field.
- Tap “Send” to send your message to ChatGPT. ChatGPT will receive your message and return a response as normal.
Reasons to Set Up Voice Input in the ChatGPT App for iPhone and iPad
1. Enhancing Accessibility
Voice input is a powerful tool for accessibility. People with physical disabilities that limit their ability to type benefit significantly from this feature. By merely speaking their thoughts, they can fully engage with the app, making their experience inclusive and enriching. This is a step forward in reducing technology-induced barriers for users with different abilities. Such inclusivity fosters digital equality, allowing everyone to enjoy the benefits of AI-powered apps.
2. Offering Convenience
In today’s fast-paced world, convenience is paramount. Voice input caters to this need, facilitating quicker interactions than typing. This feature accelerates communication, especially when users are on the move. It enables users to express their thoughts freely without the constraints of typing. As a result, they can communicate their ideas more efficiently, making voice input an indispensable feature for those seeking convenience.
3. Enabling Multitasking
Voice input opens the door to multitasking. In situations where hands and eyes are occupied, it offers an alternative way to interact with the app. Users can engage in a conversation while cooking, exercising, or performing other tasks. This feature elevates productivity, allowing users to make the most of their time. With voice input, users can remain connected without compromising their other activities.
4. Promoting Language Naturalness
Voice input promotes more natural language use. When users speak, their language tends to be more spontaneous and authentic than when they type. This leads to more comfortable and intuitive interactions with AI. It bridges the gap between human communication and technology, creating a more personal and engaging experience. In essence, voice input enhances the feeling of conversing with a real person, rather than an AI.
5. Ensuring Ease of Use
Voice input ensures ease of use, particularly for those who find typing challenging. Speaking to the app is less daunting than typing, especially on small screens. This feature makes the app more user-friendly, inviting more people to explore the world of AI. It eliminates the intimidation often associated with technology, fostering a more welcoming environment. Ease of use through voice input, therefore, contributes to a more positive user experience.