Apple Cash Family is a great way to give your kids some financial freedom regarding what they purchase on their Apple devices, while retaining some control and the ability to keep them on a budget and lock things down if you have to. Setting up Apple Cash for a child account lets that child use Apple Pay to make purchases in apps, iTunes and more. As a note, it is a requirement that you have two-factor authentication set up on your account to be able to use Apple Cash Family. If you don’t already have 2FA set up for your Apple ID I’ll link to my video in the description that will show you how to do that. Examples of all instructions to set up Apple Cash Family for a child account on iPhone or iPad can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Set Up Apple Cash Family for Child Account on iPhone or iPad
Now let’s walk through the steps to set up Apple Cash for a child account so they can use Apple Pay to make purchases on their iPhone, iPad or Mac.
- Tap to launch the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad, and then tap the section at the top of the screen featuring your Apple ID name and picture. You’ll land on the Apple ID screen.
- Tap “Family Sharing” in this menu. The Family screen is displayed.
- Scroll down to the More to Share section, and then tap “Apple Cash” in this section. The Apple Cash Family screen is shown, letting you know that enabling this feature makes it possible for family members who are under 18 to both send and receive Apple Cash, and use Apple Pay for purchases.
- Tap “Set Up Apple Cash.” An Apple Cash screen is shown displaying a list of your family members.
- Tap the child account you want to set up to use Apple Cash with Apple Pay, and then tap “Set Up Apple Cash” on the next screen. The Apple Ca sh Family screen is displayed, again letting you know that enabling this feature makes it possible for family members who are under 18 to both send and receive Apple Cash, and use Apple Pay for purchases.
- Tap “Continue.” The Apple Cash Recipients screen is shown.
- Tap to place a check mark next to who you want your child to be able to send money to using Apple Cash, and then tap “Continue.” A Terms and Conditions screen is displayed.
- Review the Terms and Conditions screen, and then tap “Agree.” An Almost Ready screen is shown, letting you know that it will be a few minutes while your child’s account is set up.
- Tap “Done.” The Apple Cash screen is displayed for your family, where you’ll see either On or Pending next to the child account you set up to use Apple Cash and Apple Pay. If it says On, then you’re child is set up to both send and receive Apple Cash, and use Apple Cash Family to pay for items through Apple Pay. Alternatively, if it says Pending, then there was an issue meeting some aspect of the requirements. Try logging your child off of their device and then signing them back on to see if that resolves the issue. And again, it is a requirement that you have two-factor authentication set up on your Apple device. I’ll link to my video in the description that will show you how to do that.
- Now, you’ll need to make sure Apple Cash is an option for payments. So launch the “Settings” app again, and then tap your Apple ID and profile picture at the top of the screen to open the Apple ID menu.
- Tap “Payments and Shipping” in the menu. The Payment and Shipping window is displayed.
- Check to see if Apple Cash is included in the current list of payment methods. If it isn’t, tap “Add Payment Method.” The Add Payment screen is shown, and you should see Apple Cash in the Found in Wallet section.
- Tap “Apple Cash” to place a check mark next to it, and then tap “Done.” You’ll return to the Payment and Shipping screen, where you’ll see Apple Cash has been added. Additionally, note that the payment method at the top of this list is the method used by family members, so if you don’t have Apple Cash at the top, you’ll need to tap “Edit” and then reorder your payment methods so it is, if that’s what you want your child accounts to use for payments. Your child can now use Apple Pay Cash to pay for items on their Apple device.
You can check their Apple Cash account at any time by navigating back to the Apple Cash part of your Apple Family account, and then tapping the name of the child you want to see the Apple Cash information and settings for. You’ll land on a screen where you can see their Apple Cash balance, change who that child can send Apple Cash to, be notified when that child makes a transaction, send them money, and also lock them out from using Apple Cash.
Six Reasons to Set Up Apple Cash Family for a Child Account on iPhone or iPad
Apple Cash Family is a great tool for parents who want to manage their child’s allowance. With this feature, parents can easily set up weekly or monthly allowances for their children. This allows children to learn the value of money and the importance of saving. Parents can also set up automatic allowances, so their children receive a set amount of money each week or month. This is a great way for parents to ensure their child always has access to money, and that they are not overspending.
One of the biggest concerns for parents when giving their child access to money is how they will spend it. Apple Cash Family offers a solution to this problem by allowing parents to supervise their child’s purchases. Parents can receive notifications when their child makes a purchase, and they can approve or decline the purchase request. This gives parents the peace of mind that their child is not overspending or purchasing anything inappropriate.
Teach Financial Responsibility
Using Apple Cash Family is a great way to teach children about financial responsibility. By setting up an allowance and monitoring their child’s spending, parents can teach their children the value of money, how to budget, and the importance of saving. This is an important life skill that will benefit children in the long run. Additionally, parents can use Apple Cash Family to explain the concept of taxes and teach their children how to file a tax return.
Secure and Convenient Transactions
Apple Cash Family provides a secure and convenient way for parents and children to transfer money between each other. Parents can easily transfer money to their child’s account, and children can use the money to make purchases or transfer money back to their parents. This eliminates the need for cash transactions, which can be lost or stolen. Additionally, all transactions made through Apple Cash Family are encrypted and secure, so parents and children can feel safe using it.
Apple Cash Family makes it easy for parents to share purchases and subscriptions with their child’s account. This is a great way for families to save money and share resources. Parents can purchase a subscription to a music or streaming service, and their child can access it from their account. This eliminates the need for multiple subscriptions and saves money in the long run.
Control and Customization
Parents can use Apple Cash Family to set limits on their child’s spending, customize their account settings, and manage their child’s transactions. This gives parents complete control over their child’s spending and allows them to tailor the account to their specific needs. For example, parents can set spending limits, customize notifications, and manage transaction history. This level of control and customization is a great feature for parents who want to closely monitor their child’s financial activity.
Can I Limit My Child’s Spending on Apple Cash Family?
Yes, you can set spending limits for your child’s Apple Cash Family account. This is a great way to ensure your child does not overspend or purchase anything inappropriate. Parents can set spending limits on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, and receive notifications when their child approaches or exceeds the set limit. This feature also allows parents to block specific merchants or categories of purchases, giving them complete control over their child’s spending.
Is It Safe to Use Apple Cash Family for My Child’s Account?
Yes, Apple Cash Family is a safe and secure way for children to manage their money. All transactions are encrypted, and Apple does not share any personal information with third-party companies. Additionally, parents can monitor their child’s transactions and set spending limits, ensuring their child is not spending money on anything inappropriate.
Can My Child Use Apple Cash Family to Make Purchases at Any Store?
Your child can use Apple Cash Family to make purchases at any store that accepts Apple Pay. This includes many online and physical retailers, as well as some apps and services. However, some merchants may not accept Apple Pay, so it is important to check before making a purchase.
What Kind of Purchases Can My Child Make Using Apple Cash Family?
Your child can use Apple Cash Family to make a wide range of purchases, including physical goods, digital items, and subscriptions. However, parents can block specific merchants or categories of purchases, giving them complete control over their child’s spending.
What Happens If My Child Loses Their Device with Their Apple Cash Family Account?
If your child loses their device with their Apple Cash Family account, you can use the Find My app to remotely lock their device and prevent unauthorized access to their account. Additionally, you can contact Apple support to report the lost device and get assistance with recovering your child’s account.
What Age Should My Child Be to Use Apple Cash Family?
Your child must be at least 13 years old to use Apple Cash Family. However, some countries may have different age requirements, so it is important to check your local laws and regulations. Parents can also set up an Apple ID for their child, allowing them to use Apple Cash Family and other Apple services.