Apple’s AirTags can easily be attached to a wide variety of things to make sure you never lose them, such as a backpack, keys, pets and more. And they do this by communicating with the Find My network of devices to triangulate their location. But before you can get up and running with your new Apple AirTags, you have to set them up. Thankfully, Apple makes setting up your new AirTags easy. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
And if you need a new case for your Apple AirTag, you can click here to shop those on Amazon.
Steps to Set Up Apple AirTag on iPhone or iPad
- Position your Apple AirTag next to your Apple iPhone or iPad.
- Unwind the plastic covering from around the AirTag, and then pull to remove the plastic away from the AirTag. You’ll see a message on your iPhone or iPad that the AirTag has been discovered.
- Tap “Connect” on your iPhone or iPad. The Name AirTag window is shown.
- Scroll through the default list of names to find the name that best describes where your Apple AirTag will be or what it will be attached to. Alternatively, you can also give you AirTag a custom name. Tap “Continue” after making your selection.
- The next window prompts you to register this Apple AirTag to your Apple ID. Review your information, and then tap “Continue” to associate this Apple AirTag with your Apple ID.
- The Setting Up screen will be displayed briefly before an overview screen is shown, giving you a high-level overview of what you can do with your Apple AirTag. Tap either “View in Find My App” to see your Apple AirTag in that app, or tap “Done” to return to your device’s home screen.
You can access your Apple AirTag going forward by opening the Find My app, tapping “Items,” and then tapping the name of your AirTag.