By default Windows 10 chooses which printer is set as your default printer. Whether Windows chose the wrong printer, or you just want to set a different printer, it’s easy for you to take back control and set your own default printer in Windows 10. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Set Default Printer in Windows 10
- Press the “Windows” and “I” keys at the same time to open the Settings screen, and then click “Devices.” The Devices screen is displayed.
- Click “Printers and Scanners” in the menu on the left side of the screen. Printers and Scanners options are displayed on the right side of the screen.
- Click to uncheck the box next to “Let Windows Manage My Default Printer” if its selected. When this option is selected Windows will automatically manage which printer is set as your default printer and you won’t be able to make that choice yourself. After unchecking this box the printer currently selected as your default printer will show “Default” underneath of it.
- You can set a different default printer by clicking the printer you want to be the default, and then clicking “Manage” in the menu that pops up beneath that printer. The Manage Your Device screen is shown.
- Click “Set As Default” in the Printer Status on this screen. The Printer Status will change to be Default. Press the “Back” button at the top of the screen to navigate back to the Printers and Scanners screen, where you can also confirm this device is now set as your default Windows 10 printer.