Smart plugs and smart outlets make it easy to turn those outlets on and deliver power to connected devices from virtually anywhere. However, having to constantly go out to the Alexa app to turn on those devices can become a pain. Thankfully, you can use Alexa routines to schedule your smart plug to automatically turn on and off at specific times. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Schedule Smart Plug to Turn On and Off with Alexa Routines
- Launch the Alexa app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. You’ll land on your Amazon Alexa home screen.
- Tap “More” in the menu along the bottom of the screen.
- Tap “Routines” in this menu.
- Tap the “Plus” sign at the top of the screen to create a routine.
- Tap “Enter Routine Name,” enter a name for your routine, and then tap “Next.” In this example I’ll name this routine Turn On Outlet. You’ll be taken back to the New Routine screen.
- Tap “When This Happens.” You’ll see a When This Happens menu.
- Tap “Schedule” in this menu.
- Choose when you want your smart outlet to automatically turn on. You can use At Time to set a specific time, or you can choose Sunrise or Sunset. In this example I’ll choose “At Time,” which will open a Set Time screen. Here you can tap to shade in the background for the day you want your outlet to turn on, and then you can tap “Select” next to At Time to set a specific time for your outlet to turn on. Tap “Next” when your done setting the time you want your outlet to turn on. You’ll be taken back to the New Routine screen.
- Tap “Add Action.” You’ll see an Add New menu.
- Tap “Smart Home” in this menu. You’ll see a Smart Home menu. Tap “All Devices” in this menu. A list of your known smart devices is displayed, including your smart outlets.
- Find the smart outlet you want to automatically turn on and off in this list, and then tap the name of that outlet.
- Tap to place a check mark next to “Power,” and then tap to turn on the toggle next to the On field. Tap “Next” when you’re done. You’ll be taken back to the New Routine screen where you can see all of the information associated with the routine we just created to schedule your smart outlet to automatically turn on. Review this information to ensure it’s correct.
- Tap “Save.” You’ll be taken back to the Routines screen, where you’ll see your new routine to schedule automatically turning on your smart outlet has been added. You can tap the “Play” icon to test it.
- After you verify the routine you just created works, repeat the process again to create another routine, except this time make sure you set your smart outlet to automatically turn off. Again, tap the “Play” icon to test it and make sure it works.
Going forward Alexa will automatically turn your smart outlet on and off based on the schedule of your routines.
You can also disable and enable your routines at any time to easily turn them on and off without having to delete and recreate your routines.
Six Reasons to Schedule a Smart Plug to Turn On and Off with Alexa Routines
Using smart plugs to control the power usage of your home appliances can help reduce energy consumption and save you money on electricity bills. By scheduling your smart plugs to turn off during certain hours or when not in use, you can avoid standby power consumption and reduce your energy bill. This is especially helpful for devices that consume a lot of energy, such as air conditioners or heaters. With smart plugs, you can easily control your energy consumption and make your home more efficient.
Smart plugs can make your life more convenient by allowing you to automate your home appliances. By scheduling your smart plugs to turn on and off with Alexa routines, you can ensure that your coffee is ready when you wake up or your lights turn off when you leave the house. This saves you time and effort, and allows you to focus on other things. Plus, you can use voice commands to control your smart plugs, making it even easier to use.
Using smart plugs for security purposes can help make your home more secure. By scheduling your smart plugs to turn on and off at specific times, you can create the impression that someone is still in the house, even when you’re away. This can deter potential burglars and make your home less of a target. You can also use smart plugs to turn on your lights or other devices when motion is detected, further enhancing your home’s security.
Smart plugs can be used for home automation, making your life easier and more efficient. By scheduling your smart plugs to turn on and off at specific times, you can automate your air conditioning or heating system, ensuring that your home is always at the right temperature. You can also use smart plugs to turn on your devices when you’re in a certain room, making it more convenient to use your appliances.
Smart plugs can be useful for parental control, helping you limit your child’s screen time. By scheduling your child’s gaming console to turn off at a specific time each day, you can ensure that they are not spending too much time on their device. You can also use smart plugs to turn off other devices, such as the TV or computer, when it’s time for your child to focus on other activities, like homework or chores.
Using smart plugs to control the power usage of your devices can help prolong their lifespan. By scheduling your smart plugs to turn off your electronic devices during specific hours or when not in use, you can prevent overheating and power surges that can damage them. This can save you money in the long run by extending the life of your devices and reducing the need for repairs or replacements. Additionally, you can use smart plugs to turn on your devices when it’s safe to use them, ensuring that they are always in good condition.