Facebook Messenger Rooms is a great, free option for getting up to 50 people together in a virtual space. Recently, Facebook updated Messenger Rooms so that users could schedule a room for a later date. When people you invite indicate they are interested, they’ll receive a reminder to join the room a few minutes before the Messenger Room is set to start. The only caveat is that you can only schedule a Facebook Messenger Room using the Facebook Messenger app for iPhone, iPad and Android devices, and not through the Messenger.com website.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Schedule a Facebook Messenger Room
- Launch the Facebook Messenger app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device, and then tap “Create Room” on your Chats screen. A screen where you can create a new Facebook Messenger Room is displayed.
- Tap “Room Activity.” The Room Activity screen is displayed where you can either choose from a list of available activities for your room to be associated with, or you can tap “New” to choose your own emoji and give your room your own name. In this example, I’ll choose “Game Night.”
- Tap “Who Can Join Automatically” to choose whether anyone with the link can join the room, or if only friends you invite from Facebook or Facebook Messenger can join your room. In this example I’ll choose “Only Invited Friends.”
- Now tap the toggle next to “Schedule for Later” to turn it on. A date picker is displayed on the screen. Tap to choose the day you want to schedule your meeting for, and then tap “OK.” Another selector appears for the time. Set the time you want your Facebook Messenger Room session to start, and then tap “OK” again. You’ll be returned to the Facebook Messenger Room Settings screen where you’ll see your chosen date and time for scheduling your Facebook Messenger Room.
- Tap “Create Room.” The Invite screen will be displayed, asking you who you want to invite to your Facebook Messenger Room. Choose the individuals you want to invite, and then tap “Finish.” Anyone you invited will receive an invite where they can tap “Interested” if they are interested in attending. If they indicated they were interested in your Facebook Messenger Room, they’ll receive a reminder to attend just before the meeting starts. You can see a list of who’s interested in attending your scheduled Facebook Messenger Room by tapping “Your Room” on the Chats screen, tapping the vertical ellipses next to your scheduled room, and then tapping “Who’s Invited.” A list of everyone invited to your Facebook Messenger Room will be displayed, along with whether or not they indicated they were interested.