Using free streaming music services such as Spotify or Pandora on your Amazon Alexa device is alright, but if you’re already paying for an Apple Music subscription there’s no reason not to access that music service on your Alexa device and listen to whatever you want, without having to put up with ads or other limitations. Linking your Apple Music account to Alexa so you can play Apple Music through your Echo device only takes a few minutes.
Steps to Play Apple Music on Alexa
- Launch the Amazon Alexa app on your smart device, and then tap the “Menu” icon in the upper left corner of the screen. The Menu icon features three horizontal lines. A menu flies in from the left side of the screen.
- Tap “Settings” in the menu. The Settings menu appears.
- Scroll down to the Alexa Preferences section, and then tap “Music.” The Music screen opens.
- Tap “Link New Service” toward the top of the screen. The Link Service screen appears.
- Tap “Apple Music” in the list of options. The Apple Music skill screen appears.
- Tap “Enable to Use” on the Apple Music skill screen. A Link Account screen appears that prompts you to sign in with your Apple ID. Enter your Apple ID, and then enter the password associated with your account. Enter any information that comes up asking you to verify yourself as the owner of the Apple ID you entered information for. A screen appears with a request for Alexa to access information associated with your Apple Music account.
- Tap “Allow” on the Access Request screen. A screen appears with a message that your Apple Music account has been successfully linked to your Amazon Alexa account. Tap “Done” in the upper left corner of this screen. You’ll be returned to the Apple Music skill screen, where you’ll see the skill is enabled. Additionally, when you navigate back to the Music screen, you’ll also see Apple Music is now in the list of linked services.
If Apple Music is set up as your default Alexa music service, any music you request will automatically be played from Apple Music. Alternatively, if you have multiple music services connected and Apple Music isn’t your default music service, you’ll need to specify that you want Alexa to play a song or playlist “on Apple Music.”
You can unlink Apple Music from Alexa at any time by navigating back to the Apple Music skill screen and then tapping “Disable Skill.”