YouTube Premium is a great feature that lets you watch videos ad-free on YouTube, play videos in the background, and more. Thankfully, if you like the service but either don’t feel like you’ll be getting your money’s worth out of it, or if you need to put things on hold to save a few bucks, YouTube makes it possible to pause your YouTube Premium subscription rather than cancelling it. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video and image collection below.
Steps to Pause YouTube Premium Subscription
- Either navigate to www.YouTube.com and then login to your YouTube account, or launch the YouTube app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. I’ll show images from the YouTube website, but the steps to do this on the YouTube mobile app will be virtually the same.
- Click your YouTube profile icon at the top of the screen to open a menu, and then click “Purchases and Memberships” in this menu. You’ll see a list of your purchases and memberships associated with your YouTube account.
- Navigate to the memberships section, and then find your YouTube Premium subscription. Click “Manage Membership” associated with your YouTube Premium subscription. The YouTube Premium section will expand.
- Click “Deactivate.” A window is shown letting you know that rather than cancelling, you can pause your YouTube Premium subscription. Click “Pause Instead.”
- The next window lets you set your pause duration. Adjust the slider to set how long you want to pause your YouTube Premium subscription. You’ll see the date your YouTube Premium membership will be paused, and you’ll be informed that while your membership is paused YouTube will retain all of your downloads and music playlists. You’ll also be notified that you can resume your subscription at any time.
- Click “Pause Membership.” As of that date your YouTube Premium membership will be paused. You can resume your membership at any time by viewing your YouTube subscriptions, expanding your YouTube Premium membership, and then clicking “Resume.”
Reasons to Cancel YouTube Premium Subscription
1. Financial Constraints
If you’re facing a tight budget, pausing your YouTube Premium subscription could help ease your financial stress. Consider cutting non-essential expenses temporarily. Reassess your financial situation and resume your subscription once you’re back on track. Don’t compromise on entertainment, just find free alternatives.
2. Lack of Use
Do you find yourself not utilizing YouTube Premium’s features as often as you thought? Pausing your subscription could be a good idea. Evaluate your usage and see if it’s worth the monthly fee. Resume your subscription if you find the features valuable and necessary. Save money while enjoying the best of YouTube.
3. Trying Another Service
Looking to try out a different streaming service? Consider pausing your YouTube Premium subscription. Try out the new service and compare it to YouTube Premium. Resume your subscription if you find YouTube to be the better option. Don’t miss out on YouTube’s exclusive content and ad-free experience.
Traveling and won’t have access to the internet for a while? Pausing your YouTube Premium subscription could be a smart move. Save money while enjoying the world. Resume your subscription when you’re back and have internet access again. Stay entertained, even on the go.