From time to time you’ve probably taken the easy route of putting sensitive information, such as passwords, credit card information, bank account info, social security card numbers and more into the Notes app because it’s convenient. If you’ve got this type of information or other sensitive information stored in the Notes app that you don’t want anyone else who gets a hold of your iPhone or iPad to have access to, Apple makes it possible for you to password protect your notes. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Password Lock Notes on iPhone or iPad
- Launch the Notes app on your iPhone or iPad, and then open the specific note you want to lock with a password.
- Tap the ellipses icon on the screen to open a menu, and then tap “Lock” in the menu. The Set Password screen is displayed.
- Enter the password you want to lock your iPhone or iPad note with in both the Password and Verify fields. Enter a hint to help you remember your password in the Hint field, and then choose whether or not you want to allow your note to be unlocked with Face ID, if your iPhone or iPad supports that feature. Tap “Done” after entering this information. You’ll be returned to your note, and you’ll now see a padlock icon at the top of the screen. Going forward, when you launch the Notes app and try to access this note you’ll be greeted with a locked screen, and you’ll need to enter your password to view it.
Steps to Remove Password Lock from Notes on iPhone or iPad
- Unlock a locked note.
- Tap the ellipses on the screen to open the menu.
- Tap “Remove” where the Lock icon previously was. You’ll see a note that the lock was removed, and the padlock icon will no longer be displayed at the top of the screen.
Steps to Change Password on Locked on Locked Notes on iPhone or iPad
- Tap the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad home screen to open the Settings menu, and then tap “Notes” in the menu. The Notes screen is displayed.
- Tap “Password” in this list. The Password screen is shown.
- Tap “Change Password.” The Change Password screen is shown. Enter your previous password in the Old Password field, and then enter what you want to be your new password in both the Password and Verify fields. Provide a hint, and then tap “Done.” Now, anytime you lock one of your notes files, this is the password you’ll need to enter to unlock it.