The Mail app on an Apple iPhone or iPad makes it relatively easy to see and manage all of the messages from multiple email accounts in one place. One of the downsides of this approach is that it can result in a build-up of unread messages. Whether you like a clean inbox, or want to avoid the anxiety of knowing you have so many unread messages, Apple makes it easy to quickly mark all of your messages as read.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Mark All Emails as Read on iPhone or iPad
- Open the Mail app on your iPhone or iPad, and then tap to go into a specific Mailbox or All Mailboxes. A list of all of the messages in your selection will be displayed.
- Tap “Edit” at the top of the screen. You’ll see empty circles appear next to your messages, and new menu options appear on the screen.
- Tap “Select All” at the top of the screen. You’ll see check marks displayed in the circles next to your messages.
- Tap “Mark” at the bottom of the screen to bring up a menu.
- Tap “Mark as Read” in that menu. All of the messages in that mailbox will be marked as read.
Reasons to Mark All Emails as Read on iPhone or iPad
1. Clear Clutter and Organize Inbox
Marking all emails as read on your iPhone or iPad can instantly declutter your inbox. It gives you a clean slate, allowing you to focus on the new messages that come in. The organized inbox can boost your productivity, reduce stress and save you time searching for important emails.
2. Indicate Reviewed Messages
Marking all emails as read on your iPhone or iPad is an efficient way to signal to yourself or others that you have reviewed all the new messages in your inbox. This can be particularly helpful if you receive a large number of emails every day. By marking them as read, you can quickly and easily indicate that you have seen them all.
3. Remove Unread Email Count
The unread email count badge on the Mail app icon can be distracting and annoying, especially if you have hundreds or even thousands of unread messages. By marking all emails as read, you can remove this badge and clear the clutter from your home screen. This can improve your focus and overall experience using your device.
4. Improve Mail App Performance
Marking all emails as read can also improve the performance of the Mail app. Unread messages require the app to constantly keep track of their status, which can slow down the app and drain your device’s battery. By marking them as read, you can reduce the number of unread messages the app needs to manage, which can improve performance and save battery life.