In early 2020 Facebook rolled out the ability for users to create Facebook avatars, which are cartoon-like caricatures of themselves. If you really love your bitmoji-like representation of yourself, Facebook even makes it possible to set the avatar as your permanent profile picture, letting you choose from a variety of poses. As of May 2020, you can only do this using the Facebook app for iPhone, iPad and Android devices. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Make Facebook Avatar Your Permanent Facebook Profile Picture
- Launch the Facebook app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. Tap to open someone’s post like you’re going to comment on it, and then tap the smiley face icon on the comment line. The Stickers menu is displayed.
- Tap the “Avatar” icon in the Stickers menu. Your Facebook avatar stickers are displayed. Tap “Edit Avatar” in this window. Your Facebook avatar editor is displayed.
- Tap the “Share” icon. A menu flies up from the bottom of the screen. Tap “Set As Temporary Profile Picture” in the menu. A screen with different avatar poses and backgrounds appears.
- Choose the pose you want your Facebook avatar to display with in your Facebook profile picture, and then choose a background color. Tap “Next” after making your selections. The Temporary Profile Picture screen is displayed.
- Tap “Save” on this screen. You’ll return to the Facebook avatar editor screen.
- Navigate to your Facebook profile screen and then tap your profile picture. A menu flies up. Choose “Edit End Time” in the menu. The Edit End Time screen is displayed.
- Tap to place a check mark next to “Keep As Permanent Profile Picture,” and then tap “Set.” Your Facebook avatar will now permanently be set as your Facebook profile picture until you change it.