YouTube makes it possible to link your YouTube mobile app with the YouTube app on a smart TV or a connected streaming device, such as a Roku. After pairing your YouTube app with your TV, you’ll be able to navigate the YouTube app on your phone to find content, but then you’ll have the ability to watch the video on the connected TV’s YouTube app. Linking the YouTube app on your mobile device with a TV can be done in a matter of minutes. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Link YouTube to TV
- Make sure the YouTube app is installed on the device you want to pair the YouTube app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device with, and that your logged in with your YouTube account on that device.
- Launch the YouTube app on the device you want to link the YouTube app on your Apple or Android device with. You’ll arrive at your YouTube home screen. In this example, I’ll launch the YouTube app on my Roku Ultra.
- Select the “Settings” icon on your YouTube home screen. The Settings icon looks like a gear. In the YouTube Roku app, the Settings icon appears at the bottom of a column of menu icons along the left edge of the screen. The Settings menu appears on the right side of the screen.
- Select “Link with TV Code” in the list of options in the Settings menu. The Link with TV Code screen appears, listing the next steps for connecting the YouTube app on your mobile device with your TV. Most importantly, at the bottom of the Link with TV Code screen you’ll see the YouTube pairing code that will be required to link the YouTube app to your TV. Leave this screen open so you can refer to the number shortly.
- Launch the YouTube app on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device. You’ll land on your YouTube home screen.
- Tap your profile icon in the upper right corner of your YouTube app home screen. A menu appears.
- Tap “Settings” toward the bottom of the menu. The Settings screen opens.
- Tap “Watch on TV” in the Settings menu. The Watch on TV menu appears.
- Tap “Enter TV Code” in the Link with TV Code section. The Enter TV Code screen appears.
- Enter the number from the Link with TV Code screen displayed in the YouTube app on your TV in the Enter TV Code field in the YouTube mobile app. A blue check mark will appear to the right of your entered YouTube pairing code if the number is correct. Tap the blue “Link” button after entering a valid code. You’ll be returned to the YouTube home screen in the YouTube app after the link is successful. Now, when you tap the Connect to Device icon in the upper right corner of the YouTube app going forward, a menu will fly up from the bottom of the screen that will display your connected TV as an option to connect to.