Steam turns on almost all of notification alerts associated with your friends by default. This can include notification pop-ups, sounds, and the window flashing when you get a chat message from a friend. Whether this is sensory overload and you want to disable some of these notifications, or whether you want to just get rid of all of them, Steam makes it easy to disable any of the friend notification options you don’t want.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Disable Steam Friend Notifications
- Launch the Steam app on your computer. You’ll land on your Steam home screen.
- Click “Friends” in the menu at the top of the screen to open a drop-down menu, and then click “View Friends List” in that menu.
- Click the “Settings” icon at the top of the Friends window. The Settings icon looks like a gear.
- Choose “Notifications” in the menu on the left side of this window. Notifications options will be displayed on the right side of this window.
- The first column shows you the friend notification type, the second column lets you indicate whether you want to receive a notification for that type, and the third column lets you choose whether you want a sound to play for that notification type. Use the check mark to toggle on or off any of the notification types you want. Because I don’t want any notifications, I’ll remove the check marks from all of the boxes.
- Now, move down to the next section and choose whether you want the window to flash whenever you receive a new chat message. In this example I’ll choose “Never” because I don’t want the window to flash when I receive a new chat message.
- Click the “X” to close this window. All of your changes will be saved, and any Steam friend notifications you disabled will be turned off going forward.
Five Reasons to Turn Off Steam Friend Notifications
1. Overwhelming Notifications
Do you have a large friend list on Steam? Are you tired of receiving countless notifications every day? Disabling friend notifications might be the solution. By doing so, you can control the amount of information that reaches you and stay on top of your game without any distractions. This way, you can keep up with the most important updates and keep your focus where it belongs. Take back control of your Steam experience and reduce the clutter with a simple toggle.
2. Privacy Concerns
Are you worried about the information being shared about your activity on Steam? Do you want to limit the information that reaches your friends? Disabling friend notifications gives you the privacy you need. This way, you can choose what information you want to share and what you want to keep private. Protect your online presence and keep your activity to yourself with just a few clicks.
Do you find yourself getting distracted by friend notifications while gaming on Steam? Disabling friend notifications can help you stay in the zone and focus on what’s important. This way, you can immerse yourself in the game without any interruptions. Give your full attention to your favorite games and improve your experience.
Are you tired of receiving notifications that are not relevant to you? Do you find the notifications annoying or unnecessary? Disabling friend notifications can help. This way, you can get rid of the unwanted notifications and enjoy a smoother experience on Steam. Say goodbye to the annoyance and take back control.
Do you prefer to receive some notifications but not others? Do you want to have more control over what information reaches you? Disabling friend notifications allows you to customize your experience. This way, you can choose the notifications that matter to you and ignore the rest. Make Steam work for you and enjoy a tailored experience.