As a result of Microsoft’s quest to rapidly integrate OpenAI’s ChatGPT into its ecosystem through Bing Chat AI, end users are seeing the functionality pop up across Microsoft’s suite of products. One of those places where Bing Chat AI is now being forced upon people is within the Search box on the Windows 11 taskbar. Thankfully, whether you’re not a big fan of Bing Chat AI, or you’re someone who just doesn’t feel quite comfortable interacting with AI yet, you can easily turn off Bing Chat AI in the Windows 11 taskbar search.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Disable Bing Chat AI in Windows 11 Taskbar Search
- Navigate to your Windows 11 home screen where you see the Search box displayed in your Windows 11 taskbar.
- Press the “Windows” and “I” keys at the same time to open the Windows 11 Settings screen.
- Click to select “Privacy and Security” in the list of menu options on the left side of the screen. You’ll see Privacy and Security options on the right side of the screen.
- Scroll down to the Windows Permissions section, and then click “Search Permissions.” The Search Permissions screen is displayed.
- Scroll down to the More Settings section, and then find Show Search Highlights. Search highlights are where content from Bing Chat AI is presented.
- Click to toggle off “Show Search Highlights.” Bing Chat AI will be turned off going forward within your Windows 11 taskbar search.
Reasons to Disable Bing Chat AI in Windows 11 Taskbar Search
1. User Preference
User preference plays a large role in the use of Bing Chat AI. This tool uses Microsoft Edge to redirect user queries to the Bing Chat page. This process doesn’t occur within the Windows 11 search experience itself. Consequently, the feature feels more like an external tool than an integrated part of the OS. For some users, this isn’t a favorable experience. They might prefer a more seamless integration of AI assistance within their operating system. Thus, disinterest in the feature can lead to its disabling.
2. Visibility and Aesthetics
The visual appeal and simplicity of a user interface are important. The Bing Chat AI button resides on the taskbar, adding to the number of visible icons. For some users, a crowded taskbar is visually unappealing. It can make the workspace feel cluttered and disorganized. Therefore, the desire for a cleaner, less cluttered taskbar could motivate users to disable the Bing Chat AI button.
3. Functionality Issues
Like any technology, Bing Chat AI isn’t immune to functionality issues. Some users report that the feature doesn’t respond as expected. In particular, clicking the Bing Chat AI button might not initiate any action. Such issues can be frustrating and counterproductive. They disrupt the user experience and can dissuade users from using the feature. Hence, users experiencing such issues might opt to disable Bing Chat AI.
4. Preference for Other Search Options
Users often have preferred methods for executing tasks, including searches. They may find other search tools or methods more intuitive, efficient, or comfortable. Bing Chat AI, as a newer feature, may not align with these established preferences. Additionally, users may find other tools provide more accurate or relevant results. This preference for other search options can lead to users disabling Bing Chat AI in favor of their preferred tools.