If you want to get an iPhone or iPad for your child, the first thing you’ll probably need to do is set up an Apple ID for that child. The best way to do this is by turning on Family Sharing on your Apple account, and then adding that child to your family account. Family Sharing lets you set screen time limits for your child, require your approval to download apps, and more. Setting up an Apple ID for your child only takes a few minutes. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Create Apple ID for Child
- Launch the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad, and then tap the area featuring your profile picture and account name at the top of the menu. The Apple ID screen is shown.
- Tap “Family Sharing” in this menu. The Family screen is shown.
- Tap “Add Member.” A screen is displayed letting you know how many more people you can invite to your family.
- Tap “Create an Account for a Child.” The Create a Child Account screen is shown, letting you know that this child will be a part of your family until that child is at least 13 years old. Tap “Continue.” A dialog box will appear asking you to provide your parental consent, either using Face ID or your PIN code. The Family Privacy Disclosure is displayed. Tap “Agree” to agree to the disclosure. The next screen prompts you to enter your child’s name and birthday.
- Enter your child’s first and last name, and birthday. It’s important to enter this information correctly, as you won’t be able to edit it. Tap “Next” after entering this information. The next screen prompts you to enter an email address for your child. Note that if your child doesn’t have an email address and you don’t want to set one up for them, you can tap “Don’t have an email address” to proceed without using an email address.
- Enter the email address you want to associate with your child’s Apple ID, and then tap “Next.” A screen prompting you to enter a verification code to confirm the email address you used is shown.
- Enter the verification code received at that email address. The next screen will ask you to enter a password for your child’s Apple ID, and then verify that password.
- Enter the new password twice, and then tap “Next.” The next screen prompts you to either use your phone number to verify whenever your child’s account is used to sign into a new Apple device, or a different phone number. Make your selection. A Terms and Conditions screen is shown.
- Review the Terms and Conditions, and then tap “Agree.” If a dialog box pops up asking you to agree to the terms and conditions again, tap “Agree” again. A screen is shown giving you an overview of the Ask to Buy and Location Sharing features where you can turn those features on or choose to set them up manually. Make your selection. You’ll be routed back to your Family screen, where you can see your new Apple ID child account has been added. Your child can now use their Apple ID to log into Apple devices.