Adding a watermark to your pictures or images is a great way to deter people from stealing your content, but even if they do it helps ensure you’ll still get some credit for it. Canva’s powerful tools and user-friendly interface make it a great option for both quickly creating a watermark image, and then adding that image to other pictures and images. You should note that to use all of the functionality in Canva that lets you create a watermark image you will need a Canva Pro account.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Create a Watermark in Canva
- Open a web browser, navigate to Canva.com, and then log in with your Canva account. You’ll land on your Canva home screen.
- Click “Create a Design” in the top corner of the screen. A menu opens.
- Either choose an existing size dimension you want to use, or click “Custom Size” to define the size of the watermark image we’ll create. I’d recommend creating a custom size image to ensure that your watermark is sized to fit the images you’ll need to place it on and look good. You’ll land on a blank canvas.
- In the interest of time I’ve already got the image I created to use as my watermark image up on this screen, but this is where you’ll create your watermark image. After you create what you want to be your watermark image we’ll want to download it. You can do that by clicking “Share” and then clicking “Download.” The Download menu opens.
- Choose PNG in the File Type field. Then, if you want to change the size of your image you’ll have an opportunity to do that with the Size slider.
Next, click to place a check mark next to “Transparent Background.” Again, using some of these features does require Canva Pro, so you’ll need a Canva Pro account in order to do this.
Click “Download” after making the necessary selections to download the watermark image file to your computer.
Steps to Add a Watermark to an Image in Canva
- Open the image you want to add a watermark image to in Canva.
- Scroll down the menu on the left side of the screen until you see Images. If you don’t see Images, click “More” to expand the menu, and you should see Images in the expanded options. The Images section will be displayed.
- Click the ellipses icon next to Images, click “Upload,” and then upload your watermark file to Canva. You’ll now see your transparent watermark file in the Images section.
- Click your watermark image. Your watermark image will be placed on the picture you want to apply it to. Reposition your watermark image to position it where you want it to be.
- Make sure your watermark image is selected and then click the “Transparency” icon in the Canva picture menu to open the Transparency slider.
- Move the slider to adjust the transparency of your watermark image. After you get the transparency of the watermark image set where you want it, simply click off the image and download the picture with your watermark on it.
Reasons to Consider Adding a Watermark to an Image
1. Copyright Protection
Protecting your images with a watermark is crucial in today’s digital age. Adding a watermark establishes your ownership and helps prevent unauthorized use of your images. It serves as a reminder to others that your work is protected and cannot be used without your permission. You can add a simple copyright symbol, your name, or a company logo to make sure your images are properly credited and protected.
2. Brand Promotion
Using a watermark is a subtle but effective way to promote your brand or product. Adding your logo to your images will help build brand recognition and increase your visibility online. Every time your images are shared, your watermark will be seen, promoting your brand to a wider audience. This can be particularly effective for businesses looking to expand their online presence and reach more customers.
3. Deterring Image Theft
Adding a watermark to your images can make it more difficult for others to steal your work. A visible watermark can serve as a deterrent to potential thieves, making it less likely that your images will be misused. By watermarking images, you can ensure that your work is properly credited and that you retain control over use.
4. Image Authentication
A watermark can help verify the authenticity of an image and its source. By adding a unique watermark to your images, you can ensure they are easily recognizable and their origin is verifiable. This can be particularly important in situations where the authenticity of an image is in question, such as in news reporting or court cases.