The Android mobile operating system has gotten much better over time at making it easy for users to download, load and store personal documents on their mobile device. However, if you need to access a particular file regularly, tapping through various layers to get to it can be a pain. Thankfully, Android makes it easy to create a shortcut directly on the home screen to files you access regularly.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Create a Shortcut to a File on Android Home Screen
- Navigate to the location on your Android device where the file is located that you want to create a shortcut to on your device’s home screen. In this example, because the file I want to create a shortcut to is in the Downloads folder, I’ll open My Files and navigate to my Android device Downloads folder.
- Perform a long press against the file you want to create a shortcut to to mark it as selected, and then tap the “Options” icon to open a menu.
- Tap “Add Shortcut” in the menu. The Add Shortcut To menu is displayed.
- Tap “Home Screen” in this menu. The Add to Home Screen menu is displayed.
- Hold your finger against the icon in the menu and continue holding your finger against the icon. You’ll be routed back to the home screen. Place the shortcut icon that points to your file where you want to locate it on your Android home screen, and then remove your finger from the screen. You can tap that shortcut anytime going forward to open your file.
Reasons to Create Shortcuts to Files on Android Home Screen
1. Quick Access
Speed up your file access process by creating shortcuts to frequently used files on your Android home screen. No more navigating through the file system or searching through multiple folders. Simply tap the shortcut and your file opens in an instant. Make your work more efficient and save time by having quick access to your most important files.
Stand out from the crowd and personalize your Android home screen with custom shortcuts. Choose unique icons and labels to make your device truly your own and make it easier to identify and locate important files. Show off your individuality and improve your device’s functionality at the same time.
3. Improved Organization
Keep your device organized and make it easier to find important files by creating shortcuts on your Android home screen. Centralize frequently used files in one place and have them ready to access at a glance. Stay on top of your files and improve your overall organization with shortcuts.
4. Easy Sharing
Share files with others quickly and easily by creating shortcuts on your Android home screen. No more searching through folders or the file system. Simply tap the shortcut and your file is ready to share. Improve collaboration and make file sharing a breeze with shortcuts on your Android home screen.