Facebook Messenger rooms are a great option for hosting a video chat. There’s no time limit on how long a room can be kept open, and you can host up to 50 people in a room at a time. Because Facebook also owns Instagram, they rolled out the ability to create a Facebook Messenger room directly from Instagram. The only caveat is that you have to have the Facebook Messenger app installed on your device to use it. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Create a Facebook Messenger Room on Instagram
- Launch the Instagram app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. You’ll land on your Instagram home screen.
- Tap the “Direct Message” icon at the top of the screen. The Direct Message screen is displayed.
- Tap the “Video” icon at the top of the screen. You’ll land on the New Video Chat screen.
- Tap “Create a Room.” The Create Messenger Room window is displayed. Tap “Create Room” again. Tap to select anyone in your Instagram friend list you want to invite to your room and then tap “Send” to send an invite to those individuals to join your room. Alternatively, you can tap “Skip” without inviting anyone from your Instagram friends list to your room. A Messenger Room Created window is displayed, where you’ll get a link to your Messenger room that can be given to anyone you want to join your room.
- Tap “Join Room.” A Go To Messenger window is shown asking if you want to leave Instagram and go to Messenger. Tap “Ok.” You’ll be routed to the Messenger app where your Messenger room will load. From here, you can tap “Share Link” to invite other people to your Messenger room for a video chat.