Did you capture the perfect Live Photo on your iPhone that you feel needs to live in infamy as a GIF? Maybe it’s a picture of a friend making an embarrassing face or a pet lashing out. In only a few minutes using your iPhone’s native functionality you can apply an animation and send out a GIF that can be shared forever. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Convert a Live Photo to a GIF on Your iPhone
- Tap to open the “Photos” app on your iPhone. You’ll land on your Photos screen.
- Tap “Albums” in the row of options along the bottom of the Photos app. The Albums screen appears.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Albums screen on your iPhone until you get to the Media Types section, and then tap “Live Photos.” All of the Live Photos available on your iPhone will appear on the Live Photos screen.
- Tap to open the iPhone Live Photo you want to turn into a GIF. That photo will open on its own screen. In this example, I’ll choose a Live Photo of our dog.
- Swipe up on the Live Photo to reveal the Effects section, where you’ll see options for Live, Loop and Bounce. Loop will create a loop of your Live Photo with a fade at the end that goes back to the beginning. Here’s what the Loop GIF with my iPhone Live Photo looks like. Alternatively, when you choose Bounce, when you get to the end of your Live Photo, a bouncing effect will be applied that takes you back to the beginning of your Live Photo. Here’s what the Bounce GIF with my iPhone Live Photo looks like. After choosing either Loop or Bounce, you’ll be returned to the top of the screen where you’ll see your selected effect applied to your iPhone Live Photo. You can also verify your choice of either Loop or Bounce by checking in the upper left corner, where it will be displayed.
- Tap the “Send To” icon in the lower left corner of the screen when you’re ready to export your Live Photo GIF. You’ll be zoomed out to the Send To screen. From here you can choose to send the iPhone Live Photo GIF to someone through a messaging service, such as Message or Messenger, email the file to yourself or someone else, save it to your files, or use any of the other options to send it.
- You can find all of the iPhone Live Photos you’ve turned into a GIF by navigating back to the Albums part of the Photos app, and tapping “Animated” in the Media Types section. A list of all of your iPhone Live Photos that have been turned into GIFs will be displayed.