Discord stores a copy of all of the media files you view in a server locally on your computer so you don’t have to re-download those files every time you want to view them. While this is more efficient and reduces the burden the Discord application will put on your Windows 11 computer’s resources, it can result in the size of the cache growing to take up a considerable amount of space. Thankfully, the process to clear your Discord application cache and reclaim that space is relatively easy.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Clear Discord Application Cache on Windows 11
- Launch the File Explorer on your Windows 11 computer.
- Click to open the “View” drop-down in the menu at the top of the screen.
- Click to expand the “Show” section, and then click to place a check mark next to “Hidden Items” in that section.
- Now, click to highlight the current location listed inside of the destination section, and then enter “%appdata%” in that section, and click “Enter.” You’ll instantly be taken to the Roaming subfolder associated with the AppData folder.
- Double-click the “Discord” folder in this location. The Discord folder opens.
- Double-click the “Cache” folder.
- Click the “Control” and “A” keys at the same time to highlight all of the content in this folder, and then click “Delete.” Your Discord application cache is now successfully cleared.
Reasons Someone Would Want to Clear the Discord Application Cache in Windows 11
1. Fixing Bugs or Glitches
If you’re experiencing any issues with Discord, clearing its cache is a quick and simple solution. This can resolve bugs and glitches, such as freezes, crashes, and error messages. Clearing the cache removes temporary files and data, allowing Discord to start fresh with a clean slate. If you’re having trouble with the app, this is a great first step to try before reaching out for help.
2. Improving Performance
Over time, cache files can accumulate and slow down the performance of Discord. Clearing the cache is an easy way to improve the speed and responsiveness of the app. This can be especially beneficial if you use Discord regularly and have a lot of data stored in the cache. A clean cache means a faster and more efficient app.
3. Resolving Display Issues
If you’re experiencing any issues with the way Discord looks, such as missing or blurry images, clearing the cache can resolve these issues. The cache stores data such as images and other media, and if it becomes corrupt or outdated, it can cause display problems. Clearing the cache ensures that only fresh and current data is used, resulting in a better display experience.
4. Reinstalling Discord
If you’re having issues with Discord and need to reinstall it, clearing the Discord cache beforehand can help resolve any issues that may arise during the process. Clearing the cache removes any temporary files and data that may cause conflicts when reinstalling the app. A clean cache means a smooth and successful reinstallation.
5. Freeing up Storage Space
Cache files can take up a significant amount of storage space, and over time, this can add up. Clearing the Discord cache is a great way to free up valuable disk space. Not only does this improve the performance of Discord, but it also frees up space on your device, allowing you to store other important files and data.