Maybe you outgrew your existing TikTok username. Maybe you use your TikTok account for business and you’re rebranding your company. Or, maybe you just want to change things up. No matter the reason TikTok makes it relatively easy to change your TikTok username. Of note, you can only change your TikTok username once every 30 days, and you can’t choose a name that someone else is actively using.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Change TikTok Username
- Launch the TikTok app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. You’ll land on your TikTok home screen.
- Tap the “Profile” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap “Edit Profile.”
- Scroll down to the About You section, find the Username field, and then tap your current TikTok username. The Username screen is shown.
- Tap your existing TikTok username to make it editable, and then enter what you want to be your new TikTok username. You’ll see a green check mark next to it if the username you enter is available.
- Tap “Save” after entering what you want to be your new username. A Set Your Username window pops up letting you know that you can only change your username once every 30 days.
- Tap “Save Username” to finalize changing your TikTok username.
You’ll be routed back to the Edit Profile screen where you’ll now see your new TikTok username in the username field. The change will be effective immediately.
Reasons Someone May Want to Change Their TikTok Username
1. Better Aligning with their Brand or Image
When it comes to TikTok, having a username that accurately represents you is crucial. Many users choose to change their username to better align with their personal brand or image. Whether it’s incorporating your name, niche, or a catchy phrase, your username should be an extension of who you are. Take the time to think about the message you want to convey to your followers, and choose a username that accurately represents that.
2. Improving Searchability
One of the key reasons someone may want to change their TikTok username is to improve their searchability on the platform. A username that’s easy to remember, spell, and search for will make it easier for followers to find and interact with you. Consider keywords that are relevant to your content or niche, and use them in your username to make it easier for users to discover you.
3. Making it Memorable and Catchy
Standing out on TikTok requires having a unique and memorable username. Your username is your virtual calling card, and it’s what people will use to identify you on the platform. To make it catchy, try incorporating puns, alliteration, or humor. Having a memorable username will make it easier for people to remember you and find you in the future.
4. Removing Personal Information
Some users may choose to change their TikTok username to remove personal information they no longer want associated with their account. This could include their real name, phone number, or other sensitive information. Keeping your personal information private is important for your online safety, so make sure your username doesn’t include any sensitive information.
5. Avoiding Cyber Bullying or Harassment
Cyber bullying and harassment are real problems on TikTok, and changing your username can be an effective way to avoid them. If you’ve experienced online harassment, consider changing your username to protect your privacy and well-being. Choose a username that’s not easily tied to your personal information and one that’s not easily discoverable by those who may wish to harm you.
6. Better Matching Other Social Media Handles
Consistency across social media platforms is important for building your personal brand. If your TikTok username doesn’t match your other social media handles, you may want to consider changing it. This will make it easier for people to find you and recognize you across different platforms, helping you to build a consistent and recognizable personal brand.
7. Starting Fresh with a Clean Slate
Finally, some users may choose to change their TikTok username simply because they want a fresh start. Maybe you’re starting a new chapter in your life, or you’re simply ready for a change. Whatever the reason, changing your TikTok username is a simple and effective way to start fresh and give yourself a clean slate.