It’s important that your Snapchat username is both something you can remember and something people will identify you with. Over time, various life events can result in your Snapchat username no longer representing who you are. Whether this is the result of a name change or you just not being the same person you were when you created your username, Snapchat makes it easy to update your username. The only caveat is that you can only change your Snapchat username once per year. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Change Snapchat Username
Now let’s walk through the steps to change your Snapchat username using the Snapchat app on iPhone, iPad or Android devices.
- Launch the Snapchat app on your iPhone, iPad or Android device. You’ll land on your Snapchat home screen.
- Tap your Snapchat profile icon at the top of the screen. Your Snapchat profile screen is displayed.
- Tap the “Settings” icon. Your Snapchat settings screen is shown.
- Tap “Username.” The Username screen is displayed.
- Tap “Change Username.” A message letting you know that you can only change your Snapchat username once per year pops up. Additionally, you’ll be notified that even if you do change your username, no one else will be able to claim your old username. Tap “Continue.” Your username will now be editable.
- Enter what you want to be your new Snapchat username. If the username you entered is not available, you’ll see a red exclamation point and a note that the username is already taken. Alternatively, if the username you entered is available then you’ll see a green check mark with a note that the username is free.
- Enter different usernames until you find one you want that is available, and then tap “Next.” The next screen will prompt you to enter your Snapchat password. Enter your Snapchat password and then tap “Confirm.” A window pops up asking if you’re sure you want to change your Snapchat username.
- Tap “Confirm” to verify that you want to change your Snapchat username. A window appears letting you know that your Snapchat username has successfully been updated. The change will take effect immediately.
Reasons to Consider Changing Your Snapchat Username
Snapchat usernames can often be searchable and easily linked to personal profiles. If you want to keep your account more private, changing your username can help you remain anonymous. This can also help keep your personal life separate from your professional life. Keep in mind, however, that a username change will not affect your privacy settings, so make sure to review those as well.
Your Snapchat username is one of the ways that people can identify you on the platform. If you want to align your username with your personal brand or online persona, a username change may be in order. Think about what image you want to project and choose a username that reflects that image.
Avoid Being Judged or Recognized
If you want to keep a low profile on Snapchat, changing your username can help you avoid being judged or recognized by people you don’t want to associate with. This can be especially helpful if you’ve had negative experiences with certain individuals on the platform.
Reflecting a Change in Personality or Lifestyle
As you grow and change, your username should reflect that growth. If you’ve undergone a transformation, consider changing your username to reflect your new personality or lifestyle. This can help you connect with like-minded individuals and build new relationships on Snapchat.