Maybe your child figured out the screen time passcode you set up to override screen time. Or, maybe the previous passcode was too difficult to remember and you want to change it to something else. No matter the reason, Apple makes it easy to change the screen time passcode for your child on an iPhone or iPad. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Change Screen Time Passcode for Child on iPhone or iPad
Now let’s walk through the steps to change the screen time passcode for your child on an Apple iPhone or iPad.
- Open the “Settings” app on your Apple iPhone or iPad, and then tap the section with your profile picture and name at the top of the menu. You’ll land on the Apple ID screen.
- Tap “Family Sharing.” The Family screen is displayed.
- Tap “Screen Time.” The Screen Time screen is shown.
- Tap the child you want to the Family Sharing screen time passcode for. A screen displaying the screen time details for that child is shown.
- Scroll down to the bottom of this screen and then tap “Change Screen Time Passcode.” A menu is displayed with a note that you’ll need to enter your device’s passcode before you can change screen time for family members.
- Tap “Change Screen Time Passcode” again. You’ll be prompted to provide either the Face ID or device passcode you use to unlock your iPhone or iPad.
- Enter your existing device passcode or use Face ID for verification, and then enter what you want the new screen time passcode to be on the next two screens. Going forward you’ll need to use the new code when prompted to override screen time for that child.
Reasons to Change the Screen Time Passcode on iPhone or iPad
Limiting Child Screen Time
With the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, it’s easy for kids to spend hours on end staring at a screen. However, excessive screen time can be detrimental to a child’s health and well-being. By changing the screen time passcode, parents can set limits on how long their child can use the device each day. This helps encourage a healthy balance between screen time and other activities, such as physical exercise and social interaction.
Enforcing Parental Controls
As a parent, you want to make sure your child is using apps that are appropriate for their age and development level. By changing the screen time passcode, you can enforce parental controls on app usage and purchases. This ensures that your child only has access to content that is safe and appropriate.
Protecting the Child from Online Predators or Cyberbullying
The internet can be a dangerous place, and children are especially vulnerable to online predators and cyberbullying. By changing the screen time passcode, parents can help protect their child from these threats by setting restrictions on communication and social media apps. This can also help prevent the child from inadvertently sharing personal information with strangers.
Preventing Unauthorized Purchases or Changes to Device Settings
Kids are curious and may experiment with different settings on their device. However, this can lead to accidental purchases or changes that can be costly or disruptive. By changing the screen time passcode, parents can prevent unauthorized changes to the device settings, and also prevent the child from making purchases without permission.
Encouraging Other Activities
While devices like iPhones and iPads can be useful for educational and entertainment purposes, it’s important for kids to engage in other activities as well. By changing the screen time passcode, parents can encourage their child to take a break from the screen and engage in other activities, such as outdoor play, reading, or spending time with friends and family. This helps foster healthy habits and a well-rounded lifestyle.