Whether you’ve outgrown your current Fortnite display name, or you just have an itch to change to something different, Epic Games makes it possible to change your display name. However, there is a caveat. You can change your display name at no cost on a PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, iPhone, iPad or Android device, but you have to have a full Epic Games account, which is free. This will enable you to change your display name through the Epic Games website. Alternatively, to change your Epic Games or Fortnite display name on an Xbox or PlayStation device, you’ll need to change your Xbox Gamertag or change your PlayStation Network username. The downside there is that if you’ve changed either of those names recently there may be small costs involved to change them again. I’ll use this article to show you how to change your Epic Games display name on a PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, iPhone, iPad or Android device.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Change Epic Games Name
- Open a web browser and navigate to www.epicgames.com/account/personal. Sign in to your Epic Games account if prompted. You’ll land on the General Settings screen.
- Click the “Edit” icon next to Display Name. The Confirm Display Name Change screen is shown.
- Enter what you want to be your new Epic Games display name in the New Display Name and Confirm Display Name fields.
- Click to place a check mark next to the message asking you to confirm that you understand that you won’t be able to change your Epic Games display name again for two weeks after this change, and then click “Confirm.”
- You’ll return to the General Settings screen where you’ll see a note that your Epic Games display name has been updated. As a reminder, this will only change your Epic Games or Fortnite display name on a PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, iPhone, iPad or Android device. This won’t change your Epic Games or Fortnite display name on an Xbox or PlayStation device. To change your Epic Games or Fortnite display name on these devices, you’ll need to change your Xbox Gamertag or PlayStation Network username, and if you’ve changed either of those names recently there may be small costs involved to change them again.
Reasons to Change Your Epic Games Username
1. Personal Preference
Sometimes, we just outgrow our online aliases. Just as we change and evolve, so do our tastes. You might feel your current Epic Games name doesn’t truly represent who you are anymore. Maybe you’ve stumbled upon a new name that fits your gaming personality better. Users often change their names for the simple desire of novelty and self-expression.
Many gamers are also streamers or content creators. They’ve built a digital brand for themselves. Your Epic Games name is more than just a username; it’s part of your brand identity. If you decide to overhaul your brand or create a more cohesive online presence, changing your Epic Games name might be necessary. This is a strategic move to help your audience easily identify and remember you across various platforms.
3. Professional Reasons
Professional gaming isn’t just about skills. It’s also about representing a team or a sponsor. When a gamer turns professional, they usually adopt a name that reflects their affiliations. A new Epic Games name can help signify a new chapter in a gamer’s career. It can increase visibility and establish a stronger connection between the player and their team or sponsor.
4. Avoiding Harassment
Online gaming isn’t immune to bullying and harassment. Sometimes, a user becomes a target, making the gaming experience unpleasant. Changing your Epic Games name can be a strategy to reclaim your online space. It can disrupt patterns of harassment and provide a degree of anonymity, allowing you to enjoy the game without constant interference or fear of targeted abuse.
5. Privacy Concerns
A username can sometimes reveal more than intended. If your Epic Games name contains personal details, such as your full name or birthdate, it can pose a security risk. Changing your name helps protect your personal information. It’s always wise to maintain a safe distance between your virtual gaming life and your real life.
6. Mistakes or Typos
Typos can be a source of regret. Perhaps in the excitement of creating your account, a typo slipped through. Or maybe you chose a name in haste that doesn’t quite work. Whatever the reason, changing your Epic Games name provides an opportunity to rectify any errors and present a name you’re proud of.
7. Age or Maturity
We all grow and mature. The name that seemed cool or edgy when you were younger may now seem immature. As we age, our sense of identity shifts. You may want your Epic Games name to reflect your current self rather than your past. Changing your name can be a mark of personal growth and evolution.
8. Representing a Clan or Group
Being part of a gaming clan or group brings a sense of camaraderie and identity. Changing your Epic Games name to include your group’s tag is a common practice. It displays loyalty and belongingness. It also makes it easy for fellow clan members to identify you, enhancing the sense of community within the game.