By default, eBay assigns you a generic username. Thankfully, whether you just want to personalize your eBay username to make it easier to remember, or you run a business that you want your username to properly reflect, you can change your eBay username quickly and easily. EBay’s only username guideline is that your new username is a minimum of six characters long. And finally, the only caveat is that you can’t change your eBay username on the eBay mobile app, and the only place you can change it is through the eBay website. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video above and the image collection located beneath the steps.
Steps to Change EBay Username
- Open a web browser, navigate to www.eBay.com, and then sign in to your eBay account if you’re not signed in already. You’ll land on your eBay home page. As a reminder, you can only change your eBay username through the eBay website and not through the eBay mobile app for iPhone, iPad or Android devices.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the name associated with your eBay account that’s shown at the top of the screen to open a menu, and then click “Account Settings” in that menu. The My eBay screen is displayed.
- Navigate to the Personal Information section on this screen, and then click “Personal Information” in that section.
- Find the Username field, where you’ll see your current eBay username shown in that field. Click “Edit” to the right of the Username field. The Username field will change to become open entry, with a note that if you change your eBay username you won’t be able to modify again it for 30 days.
- Enter what you want to be your new eBay username, and then click “Save.” A prompt to enter the password associated with your eBay account is displayed.
- Enter your eBay password and then click “Sign In.” You’ll be routed back to the Personal Information screen where you’ll see your new eBay username shown in the Username field, along with a note that your username can’t be changed until a specific date, which should be 30 days out from the current date. Your eBay username change is effective immediately.
Reasons to Change Your eBay Username
Protect Your Privacy
Don’t take any chances when it comes to your privacy. Change your eBay username if you’ve shared it publicly on social media or with friends. Keep your personal information secure.
Boost your brand reputation by changing your eBay username. Pick a professional name that aligns with your brand identity. Make a lasting impression on potential buyers.
Avoid Negative Associations
Negative feedback can hurt your reputation on eBay. Change your username to start fresh and eliminate any negative associations. Increase your chances of success.
Reflect Personal Changes
Have you changed your name or personal circumstances? Update your eBay username to reflect these changes. Keep your account current and accurate.
Make it easy for potential buyers to find you. Change your eBay username if it’s difficult to spell or search for. Increase your visibility and attract more buyers.