Instagram keeps a close eye on how much time you spend on the platform. Where the social media company arguably goes a step too far is sharing whether or not you’re currently online with followers and people you’ve privately messaged. Additionally, if you’re currently not on Instagram, those same people can also see the last time you were logged in. If you’re not comfortable with this information being shared, you can choose to turn off your activity status on Instagram, which will make you appear as always being offline on the platform. However, be aware that when you do this, you’ll also no longer be able to see whether other Instagram users are online or offline. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video and image collection below.
Steps to Appear Offline on Instagram
- Tap your profile picture in the lower right corner of your Instagram home screen. Your profile screen appears.
- Tap the “Menu” icon in the upper right corner of the screen. The Menu icon features three horizontal lines. A menu flies in from the right side of the screen.
- Tap “Settings” at the bottom of the menu. The Settings screen appears.
- Tap “Privacy” in the Settings menu. The Privacy menu appears.
- Tap “Activity Status.” The Activity Status menu appears.
- Tap the toggle to the right of Activity Status to turn it off. You’ll now appear offline on Instagram.