Google makes it easy for users to share their Google Calendar with other people. When someone shares a Google Calendar with you, they’ll give you a URL that’s a link to an ICS file. If you have an Apple iPhone or iPad, you can easily add this shared Google Calendar file so events associated with it will be visible in your Calendar app. Updates to the shared Google Calendar will automatically be updated in your iPhone or iPad Calendar app. Examples of all instructions in the steps can be seen in both the YouTube video and image collection below.
Steps to Add Shared Google Calendar to iPhone or iPad
- Ask the person who wants to share their Google Calendar with you to send you the ICS file associated with that Google calendar. They can get the ICS file for you by navigating to calendar.google.com, clicking the vertical ellipses to the right of the calendar they want to share, and then clicking “Settings and Sharing” in the menu that appears. The Calendar Settings screen will be displayed. They need to scroll down to the bottom of that screen, copy the public URL in either the public address or secret address section, and share it with you.
- After you have the URL for the ICS file, tap to launch the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad. The Settings screen appears.
- Choose “Passwords and Accounts” in the menu. The Passwords and Accounts screen is displayed.
- Tap “Add Account” in the Accounts section. The Add Account screen appears.
- Choose “Other” in the list of options. The Other screen is displayed.
- Tap “Add Subscribed Calendar” in the list of options. The Subscription screen appears.
- Paste the URL associated with the shared Google calendar ICS file into the Server field, and then tap “Next.” The information screen expands with information associated with the calendar. Enter a username and password if there is one required to access the shared Google calendar, and then tap “Save.” You’ll be returned to the Passwords and Accounts screen.You can see your newly added shared Google calendar in your iPhone or iPad calendar by opening the Calendar app, and then tapping “Calendars” at the bottom of the screen. The Calendars screen is displayed. Scroll down to the Subscribed section, and you’ll see your newly added calendar in this list. Ensure the circle to the left of that calendar has a check mark in it to see events from that calendar in your iPhone or iPad calendar.