Giving your WordPress site visitors a simple and clear option to get from the bottom of whatever page they’re on back to the top of that page can help ensure visitors stay engaged and stay on your site. The Astra Pro theme makes adding a scroll to top icon easy, and lets you control appearance and display. To be clear, you must be using the paid version of Astra Pro and not the free Astra theme.
Some of the images associated with the steps are included inline below. All images associated with these steps can be seen in the embedded YouTube video. Also, please note that you’re not able to leave a comment directly on this article. If you have a question or feedback, please leave it on the YouTube video.
Steps to Add Scroll to Top in WordPress Astra Theme
- Navigate to your WordPress home screen, and then click “Appearance” in the menu on the left side of your screen.
- Click “Astra Options” in this menu. The Astra Options window is displayed on the right side of the screen.
- Scroll down to Available Astra Pro Modules, and click to activate Scroll to Top if it isn’t activated already.
- With the Scroll to Top feature activated, click “Customize” in the Appearance section on the left side of the screen. The WordPress Astra theme customization screen is displayed.
- Click “Global” in the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Click “Scroll to Top.”
- Within the General section, you can choose to display the Scroll to Top icon on either desktop, mobile or both, and also whether you want to display it on either the left or right side of the screen. Additionally, at the bottom of this section you can adjust the icon size.
- Click “Design.” This is where you can adjust the border radius for the Scroll to Top icon, the icon color and the background color. As you make your changes you can scroll down on the right side of the screen and you’ll see a preview of your icon.
- When you’re done making changes click the “Publish” button at the top of the screen. Your changes will be saved and the Scroll to Top icon will be visible on your website immediately.
Reasons to Add Scroll to Top in the WordPress Astra Theme
1. Improved User Experience
Adding a scroll to top feature to your WordPress Astra theme enhances the overall browsing experience for your users. With just one click, they can easily navigate back to the top of a long page, making their journey seamless. This feature adds a level of convenience and efficiency to your website, improving the user experience.
2. Better Accessibility
A scroll to top feature offers accessibility benefits, especially for users with disabilities or older users who might have difficulty scrolling back to the top of a page. This feature eliminates the frustration of manually scrolling back to the top, making the website more accessible and user-friendly.
3. Increased Engagement
By making it easier for users to access content on your website, a scroll to top feature can increase engagement and reduce bounce rates. Users are more likely to stick around and engage with your content when they can quickly return to the top of a page.
4. Better Organization
For websites with a lot of content, adding the scroll to top feature to your WordPress Astra theme can help to organize the page and make it easier for users to find what they’re looking for. This feature also allows users to quickly return to the top to continue their search or browse other parts of the website.
5. Mobile Optimization
Scrolling back to the top of a page on a small mobile screen can be a challenge. A scroll to top feature specifically designed for mobile users solves this problem, making your website more mobile-friendly. This feature enhances the mobile browsing experience and ensures that users can easily navigate your website on the go.
With the WordPress Astra theme, users have the ability to customize the appearance and behavior of the scroll to top feature. This allows you to match the look and feel of your website, ensuring a seamless and cohesive user experience. Customizing the scroll to top feature makes your website unique and tailored to your specific needs and preferences.
What Are the Negatives of Using the Scroll to Top Feature in Your WordPress Astra Theme?
1. Increased Page Load Time
Adding a scroll to top feature to your WordPress Astra theme can increase the page load time, negatively impacting the user experience. If the feature is not optimized for performance, it can slow down your website and drive away visitors. Ensure that the scroll to top feature you choose is lightweight and optimized for performance to prevent this issue.
2. Potential Conflicts with Other Plugins
Integrating a scroll to top feature into your website can sometimes result in conflicts with other plugins, leading to unexpected behavior or errors on the page. Before adding this feature, thoroughly research and test it to ensure compatibility with your existing plugins and theme.
3. Limited Customization Options
Not all scroll to top features offer customization options. If you’re looking for a feature that allows you to match the look and feel of your website, it’s important to choose a plugin that offers a high level of customization. Consider your specific needs and preferences before choosing a scroll to top feature.
4. Extra Code on the Page
Adding a scroll to top feature to your website results in extra code on the page, which can negatively impact the performance and stability of the site. Choose a feature that minimizes the amount of code added to the page, and ensure that the code is well-optimized to avoid performance issues.
5. Not Appropriate for All Websites
A scroll to top feature may not be appropriate for all websites, especially those with minimal content or short pages. In these cases, the feature may not add any value to the user experience and could even be seen as a nuisance. Consider the specific needs and goals of your website before adding this feature.
6. User Preference
Not all users find a scroll to top feature useful. Some prefer to manually scroll back to the top of a page. Adding a scroll to top feature without considering user preference can negatively impact the user experience and overall satisfaction with your website. Take the time to understand your audience and their preferences before making a decision.